Member Meet-Up...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Jim_in_PA, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

This past Saturday, I had the absolute pleasure meeting up with our own @PaintedRocket in central Florida as she, her trainer and another rider made a field trip to ride the expansive cross country facility at Rocking Horse in Altoona FL. My parents live about two miles from the facility and I have been practically living there due to my father's illness and care needs. Spending a few hours with great ponies and people was a major stress reliever!

Now meeting PR, herself, was certainly great, but meeting and hanging out with the infamous Spotasaurus Rex (Gertie) was da bomb... PR was kind enough to bring her camera along since mine is back in Pennsyltucky, and I managed to shoot a whole bunch of photos of everyone. I'll provide some samples here and if PR wants to add more, I'll let that up to her.

[​IMG]

Table
    [​IMG]

PR's "moment"...she can 'splain further... :D
    [​IMG]

I really loved this horse...ridden by PR's trainer...who is amazing...
    [​IMG]

2. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Nice pics! Looks like a fun day :)

(And that is only 40 min from me!)

PaintedRocket and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. Jim_in_PA

froglander, if you haven't visited that place, you need to treat yourself. Absolutely beautiful (and huge) property!

4. Chester

Chester Senior Member

I remember when PR started looking for her new horse. And Gertie was just a baby.

5. Jim_in_PA

Chester, Gertie has really matured. I was so impressed with her (and her mommy)...and loved every minute I got to be in her/their presence.

6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Looks like it was fun and a break for you. Looks beautiful there-!!

7. PaintedRocket

PaintedRocket Senior Moderator Staff Member

We're hoping to come up again next month. If you're able, you should join us!

Jim, it was so wonderful to FINALLY meet you in person! I was so happy you were able to meet up with us and enjoy some pony time. I know you've been having a hard and stressful time and I hope it helped. We really enjoyed having you and being able to chat not through a computer or mobile device, lol! And I appreciate your manning my camera to document our first time in 3 years being back on the XC field! Yesterday was a very memorable day for many reasons <3

Gertie had an absolute BLAST. I am so, so very happy and proud of her! She was quite the mature little machine out there. My trainer kept giggling about how much obvious fun Gertie was having. We are working as such a great team these days. It is SO nice. Our hard work and dedication is paying off and I am so grateful to the amazing trainer that I have. I love her.

We NAILED our goal for this trip: to stay calm and relaxed; have fun. We actually surpassed the goals I made, personal and as a team. She was just incredible all-around. Zero rushing/getting fast, away from me, hardly any sucking back and insecurities. She was ready and then started looking for and taking me to other fences. And saved my butt over two; one being that incredibly long and scary distance. It was a miscommunication on my part--she started pulling a bit and getting a little fast and it made me hesitate and a bit defensive (flashing back to our previous years); so I struggled with finding the balance of easing her onto her hind end while encouraging the forward movement..then, I accidentally released her too much rather than softening and she went. We got incredibly lucky. She's got an incredible hind-end and didn't even come close to touching the jump.

[​IMG]

Here's my favorite from the day that Jim captured with my camera:
    [​IMG]

She's not scopey...at all >.< This was our first warm-up jump.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for sharing this day with us!

8. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

Love the pics! I think I would have died on that long spot(OK well last time I jumped an itty bitty cross rail I thought I was gonna die) you rode it so well! Beautiful horses, also very jealous, weather looks so nice down there! We are gearing up for potentially 2 feet of snow tomorrow night here in northeast PA!

Alsosusieq2 and PaintedRocket like this.
  9. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Would be neat to come and watch if you don't mind :) If you think of it, let me know when you are heading there again! I have heard of Rocking Horse but have not wandered up that way yet :)

Alsosusieq2 and PaintedRocket like this.
  10. PaintedRocket

PaintedRocket Senior Moderator Staff Member

You should! We don't mind at all, just make sure you wear good walking shoes, lol! It's a beautiful place. The first weekend of April they're having their last recognized Event. Spring I, you should go watch that if you can too. Volunteering earns you gift cards as well and they're always needing help. Great people. And you will often see many of the top Eventing riders there. I'll let you know if and when we go up next.

Alsosusieq2 and froglander like this.