Medical Ids: Do you wear one? Where to find one I wont HATE or destroy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Capilet, May 13, 2010.

1. Capilet

Capilet Senior Member+

Like so many of us, there is medical information about me that would be quite pertinent in the event I was in a bad accident. Being riders, we're at a higher risk of accidents where we might be alone and/or incapacitated (I've gotten THAT lecture from several doctors!).

So, do you wear a medical ID? Do you have one you like? Where did you get it?

2. kofmele

kofmele Senior Member+

I have one from American Medical Id, I chose it because it was affordable. It is small too. A little too small as it doesn't list enough meds (according to my doctor) but she feels it is enough to get them to pull records before doing to much and does include drugs that would be most dangerous to combine with common hospital drugs. The nice thing is, is EMTs and hospitals know that if you have a bracelet that means you have a medical card close by with the rest of your info (should always have in wallet/purse). I also have a dog tag, but rarely wear that one. I only wear it if I know I am going to the doctors and xrays/catscans/mris are a probability as it is easy to remove and the bracelet is not. (I always have to get help to put it back on)

You can get some really nice ones from a jewelry repair shop or those engraving stores, but man are they EXPENSIVE! :eek2:

I get an email from the american medical id every other day if you want I can PM the link when I get the next one.

3. mpprincess

mpprincess Senior Member+

I have a question about medical ID's. Not trying to hijack this thread.

My daughter had a transplant....do you think she should wear one?

4. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member+

I ordered mine online, it is this one: http://www.mymagicfairy.com/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php

I love that it looks like just a normal bracelet. I also have a "sportband" from the same place that I wear to go swimming, at horse shows, etc where having a real jewelry type bracelet wouldn't be appropriate.

5. pippy

pippy Senior Member+

I have mine tattooed on my wrist - not for everyone - but i can't forget to wear it, can't loose it, and its small enough that i can hide it away for important things (interviews etc).... i recommend it, however like i said not many like tats on their wrist.

6. kofmele

kofmele Senior Member+

I would have her wear one. Mine is mainly for the fact that I am on chemo so can't have certain pain meds etc., but what made my doctor tell me I was getting one whether I liked it or not is that I am haveing my immune system suppressed (the front simply says immunosuppressed) which means... dat da da daaaa, I get MY OWN ROOM whenver in the hospital!!! YIPPEE!!! (which happens a lot, so I have THAT going for me)

It should say transplant and what organ on front and any drugs that would interact negatively to basic hospital drugs (pain meds/antibiotics etc.) those drugs should be listed. But, basically if she collapsed suddenly with no obvious symptoms, it gives the hospital a place to start looking... Of course with Lupus like Cap and me... well, that only causes them to get more confused.... :D

7. kofmele

kofmele Senior Member+

HMMM, my drugs change like... I don't know... everyday? I could see it now: nsaids, *lined out* prednisone, *lined out* chemo, *lined out * prednisone back on... etc. etc.

It wouldn't be on my wrist, it would be my entire arm... although then I wouldn't have to remember where I put my list when people ask what I am taking. just roll up a sleeve.

8. Jenje!

Jenje! Senior Member+

I've had EMTs ask me what lupus is no less than five times in the past year. :no:

9. kofmele

kofmele Senior Member+

****sigh*** don't I know it....

That IS why my bracelet doesn't say Lupus anywhere.

10. arabians207

arabians207 Senior Member

My sister is a diabetic and got hers from http://www.laurenshope.com They have like custom made jewelry in tons of different styles and designs. Not sure on prices but im sure it varys A LOT depending on what you choose.. think heres were about $60 though