1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

measuring your *butt* for an english saddle size?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by ShadyGirl82, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

I recently used the handy calculator at horse.com (they are also known as State Line Tack which Buddy' mentioned) to figure out what my likely saddle size would be. It takes height, weight and thigh measurements and makes a suggestion from there. Based on my subsequent sitting sessions at some local tack shops, I found it to be accurate for me. Note that there are variations in saddle sizes between manufacturers and even models from the same maker, so you still need to physically test them to be sure they give you the balance and position you want and prefer.

2. Martini!

Martini! Senior Member

It might still fit you, but I have a feeling that if it's too small it will probably be because of your height/leg length more so than your butt size. I'm 5'6" as well and was your weight when I bought my saddle, but now I'm more like 130 lbs. Mine is a 17". When I tried the calculator thing on state line tack, it told me I needed a 17.5 inch...who knows, maybe mine is a little small now!

3. Jim_in_PA

Martini!, my daughter's calculation also came to 17.5 when I ran them out of curiosity. She's shorter than you at 5'1" but a few pounds more. (I had to guess at her thigh measurement) The Collegiate 17.5 CC we have seems to fit her well.

4. Martini!

Martini! Senior Member

Hmm, that's interesting then. My thigh measurement is 21.5. I wonder which measurement they give the most attention to on this calculator...it doesn't seem like the same saddle would fit both of us, with measurements so different! I guess that's where the variation between style and saddle brand comes in, you've just got to try them! I'm wondering how well my saddle truly fits me now.

5. ShadyGirl82

ShadyGirl82 Senior Member+

Awesome, thanks!

From what I remember (and its been a LONG time since I bought breeches...) waist size is what is listed and is taken in inches. I have long legs so have to get 26 LONG breeches :D

6. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

7. Jim_in_PA

Martini!, she's got a nearly 15" calf and her thighs are solid. (And a size 10 and growing foot...oy!) But I agree, it would be interesting to know what they weight more in the calculations. At any rate, the 17.5" saddle really does seem to be right for her...she's developed a very good seat at this point with good balance.

8. amira_rox

amira_rox Senior Member

Oh gosh, when I read that title I had this sick picture of sombody measuring their butt for diamiter and length with a tape measure!!!

9. ShadyGirl82

ShadyGirl82 Senior Member+

LMFAO ya never know ;)

10. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

I think it has a lot to do with flap angle as well...I ride a 16" in something with a forward flap (such as my Tad Coffin, which is a 17" but measures 16", and has an XXforward flap) but in something with a straighter flap (like my county stabilizer) I ride a 17 because of my thigh length.

It's all about what seat size puts you over the balance point of the saddle. My Hermes is a 16.5 and is perfect, my black country is a 16 but was designed for me so is also perfect. My county is a 17" that measures 17 1/4" and is also perfect.

Seat size also changes with the depth of the seat...my crosby equilibrium is a little big at 16.5 because of the super flat seat, whereas my black country at 16" is a little tight because it's built on a deeper tree.