measuring your *butt* for an english saddle size?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by ShadyGirl82, Dec 26, 2008.

1. ShadyGirl82

ShadyGirl82 Senior Member+

OK, so I used to use a 16" saddle (still have it) but think it might be a tad too small for me now. How do I measure my butt to see if a 16" is still what I need or if I need to trade my saddle up in size?

Thanks in advance!!!

2. walktrotcanter

walktrotcanter Senior Member+

bahaha. That's funny. :)

I'm not personally positive...I just know that when I hit 18 and tried squeezing into a 16.5", it wasn't happening anymore. I wear a size 4/5 in pants, and ride in a 17" CC, 18" dressage. If it's a CC I have to be sure the flaps are long enough, I'm 5'8" and have had trouble finding flaps on some saddles that are long enough for my long legs!

Hopefully someone can help you out! :)

ShadyGirl82 likes this.
  3. FarFromOver

FarFromOver Senior Member+

I *think* you're supposed to be able to put 3-4 fingers flat on the seat of the saddle behind your *butt* when sitting in it.

ShadyGirl82 likes this.
  4. ShadyGirl82

OH GEEZ lol... I wear a 5/6 in pants (5'6" 115lbs)... does that mean i need a bigger saddle for sure? LOL

Its a Wintec AP 16"... well then I also have an Indian off brand dressage saddle 16" too LOL

5. buck1173

buck1173 Senior Member+

^^^ no, I wear a size 9/10 jeans, I'm 5'4 and I ride a 17 flat seat or 17.5-18 deep seat. One of my favorite saddles is a 16.5 and it fits me fine too, another 16.5 I have is way too small for me. Its not just the size of your butt, its how the saddle fits your whole body.... shopping to fit your butt would be like shopping for jeans to fit your waist and nothing else (to paraphrase someone).

I don't remember how many fingers you have to fit in front and behind, but basically you want some room there, from crotch to swell of pommel and then from butt to sweep of cantle.... you want some breathing room. Then, flaps need to fit you too.... and all of this has to fit your horse too : )

Hopefully someone better than I will come along, but basically, in a nutshell, there are no rules. If you kinda fit your 16 now, but kinda not, then likely 16.5 is better for you, though you'd find some 16's you like, and some 17's you'll like... it just all depends.

6. TeeK987

TeeK987 Senior Member

Im just posting to follow the info, cause untill now ive just been riding what fits my horse better then me.
    Its confy, dont get me wrong. And i think i fit it well, but im just not sure =)

7. buck1173

buck1173 Senior Member+

yeah. :rolleyes: thats what I do too... my horse complains louder than I do

8. ShadyGirl82

LOL saddle to fit horse is definitely important :D (getting a new horse, which is sorta why i'm assessing my own saddle needs too LOL)

I will have to find something to put my saddle on so I can properly sit on it and assess my rear end LMFAO

9. FarFromOver

FarFromOver Senior Member+

As a very general rule of thumb, dressage saddles are normally 1 size larger than your AP saddle....so if you ride in a 17" AP saddle, you ride in 18" dressage saddle. Of course, there are always exceptions.

10. BuddyPalAmiga

BuddyPalAmiga Senior Member+

State line tack has a calculator on their website on how to get a basic measure for an English or Western saddle. Your height and thigh size are factors:) Check it out - it was pretty accurate for us. Now how to figure out how to measure for what size english breeches and coat:) I'm still stumped on that one.