Mattress for Gooseneck

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by hayburnerheights, Nov 22, 2009.

1. hayburnerheights

hayburnerheights Senior Member+

New question! :p

What is everyone using or recommendations for overnight sleeping in the gooseneck part of your trailer?

We are trying to decide what would work best do to the environment of a horse trailer (Futon/memory foam pad/Mattress of some type). We are thinking of doing a few overnight trips next summer :D

Looking for ideas & suggestions
    thanks again!:)

2. MissKitty

MissKitty Senior Member+

I have a mattress out of an old sofa/sleeper couch we used to have. I keep it inside of a waterproof mattress cover.

I would not recommend a futon mattress especially if your trailer is not 100% sealed from pesky rodents or if it is not insulated yet. Once one of them gets wet it can be a nightmare to get dry again before it turns nasty.

3. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator

Ikea has some very nice and comfortable mattresses that are not thick, but very supportive. They are reasonably priced, too. The suggestion to use a cover is sound for this application, too.

4. Shoers_girl

Shoers_girl Senior Member

yes as the 1st poster said a matress from a sleeper sofa is perfect.
    cause it folds up to fit throgh the door into the gooseneck,(some regular wont fit) in the door its not thick so if you have a low celling it sves 4 inches or so.

Air mattress are nice but I am too rough on them we popped two one the dog did and the second my spurs from sitting on it watching the t.v.