1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Mattress for Gooseneck

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by hayburnerheights, Nov 22, 2009.

1. hayburnerheights

hayburnerheights Senior Member

New question! :p

What is everyone using or recommendations for overnight sleeping in the gooseneck part of your trailer?

We are trying to decide what would work best do to the environment of a horse trailer (Futon/memory foam pad/Mattress of some type). We are thinking of doing a few overnight trips next summer :D

Looking for ideas & suggestions
    thanks again!:)

2. MissKitty

MissKitty Senior Member+

I have a mattress out of an old sofa/sleeper couch we used to have. I keep it inside of a waterproof mattress cover.

I would not recommend a futon mattress especially if your trailer is not 100% sealed from pesky rodents or if it is not insulated yet. Once one of them gets wet it can be a nightmare to get dry again before it turns nasty.

3. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Ikea has some very nice and comfortable mattresses that are not thick, but very supportive. They are reasonably priced, too. The suggestion to use a cover is sound for this application, too.

4. Shoers_girl

Shoers_girl Senior Member

yes as the 1st poster said a matress from a sleeper sofa is perfect.
    cause it folds up to fit throgh the door into the gooseneck,(some regular wont fit) in the door its not thick so if you have a low celling it sves 4 inches or so.

Air mattress are nice but I am too rough on them we popped two one the dog did and the second my spurs from sitting on it watching the t.v.