Marvel's Foaling Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by greenpaintpony, Mar 11, 2017.

1. greenpaintpony

greenpaintpony Senior Member

We're a little over a month out from her 'due' date, so I figured I'd go ahead and get her foaling thread up!

Marvel (Pretty Baby Bo) is 'due' April 16th (Easter Sunday!). This is her first foal (and my first personal foal), so I'd like to think we're both pretty excited :D.

477.jpg
    IMG_1845.jpg
    Sire is Cruze Mode:
    10984484_10153083090139462_1877279755351502799_n.jpg
    11018620_10153083090054462_4299329983713539313_n.jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  2. greenpaintpony

Progress so far:
    Day 170:
    170.jpg
    Day 250ish:
    250.jpg
    Day 290ish:
    290.jpg

And a video of the little guy moving! Generally, I think it's the laziest baby, but not yesterday!

And I'll get an updated picture tomorrow, but she honestly doesn't look much different. Pretty sure she is not one who will be going early this year. Patience is a virtue and all, right?! :willynilly:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    kodemiester, Arem, Dona Worry and 2 others like this.
  3. Triple E

Triple E Full Member

What a pretty mare! Can't wait to watch her progression and see the wonderful prize at the end of it all!

Alsosusieq2 and greenpaintpony like this.
  4. greenpaintpony

Thank you! I agree, haha! :D

IMG_3209 (1).jpg
    Here she was day 303 or so, enjoying her favorite thing about pregnancy: eating! No big changes yet (maybe the very beginnings of bag development), but at least the wildflowers look pretty this time of year :) We move to the foaling barn Saturday.

Arem, Sam C., froglander and 2 others like this.
  5. greenpaintpony

We moved to the foaling out farm today! The plan is to stay here through weaning; the breeder has one mare due about three weeks after Marvel, so the foals will have company.

Marvel traveled like a champ and didn't bat an eye at the new place. Also, she has the littlest bit of a bag! Now that she'll start coming in at night, we can hopefully track bag development a bit more, but I'd say it's about coin purse-sized.
    She's having a bit of a reaction to fly bites right now, so ignore the ointment and scabs, but photo:
    IMG_3381.jpg

She's also started to change shape, and is definitely starting to lose muscle tone/soften over her back and hindquarters. This photo shows it really well, especially compared to how she looked just last weekend.
    Today (311, I think):
    IMG_3363 (1).jpg
    Last week:
    IMG_3201.jpg

Attached Files:

Arem, Varisha, Sarai and 2 others like this.
  6. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Your mare will probably foal before mine :rofl:

That's a good looking pair though!!!

greenpaintpony and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. greenpaintpony

She'd better not, haha!!! I'm so impatient for your baby to get here; I can't even imagine how you're feeling! I expect cute photos of your baby to get me through the wait for mine!

And thanks!! I'm really excited for this cross, and it means a lot hearing you compliment them!

Alsosusieq2 and endurgirl like this.
  8. greenpaintpony

Day 312, and some big changes today!

She was out overnight and left in her stall/paddock during the day. With the limited movement, she has a definite, noticeable small bag:
    IMG_0319.jpg

Vulva is starting to elongate the littlest bit, and appears a bit more salmon-colored than normal. While she still looks nowhere near imminent, she's definitely progressing nicely. The breeder at the foaling out barn thinks she'll go a bit early, and I'm hoping she goes overnight maybe the Friday of Easter weekend, so I'll a) be there, and b) have the long weekend to play with them!

A couple photos of her at the new barn, meeting her new friend (WB mare due about three weeks after Marvel, and already looking twice as big, haha):
    _DSC0019.jpg
    Saying hi:
    _DSC0015.jpg
    Sharing grass and already getting along quite well!
    _DSC0049.jpg

9. greenpaintpony

Quick update and a few pics from last night (day 315):

No major changes, still developing a bag and softening over the hips and tail head. She's still turned out at night, and she's getting along very well with her other pregnant friend.

Still looking pretty wide, rather than dropping yet:
    IMG_3564.JPG
    IMG_3548.JPG

Looking like a pony next to her friend, haha:
    IMG_3557.JPG

And, ever the hockey fan, celebrating her favorite team clinching a playoff spot for the 11th year in a row!
    IMG_3464.JPG

Bebe, Arem, froglander and 1 other person like this.
  10. greenpaintpony

This weekend was days 318-319. We had a storm Friday night, so instead of being out all night like the girls usually are, they came back in early. With less movement from being in her stall and run, her bag was definitely bigger on Saturday! It was pretty much back to normal by Sunday, though. Outside of that, baby is still pretty active, and she's definitely continuing to look bigger.

Bag on Saturday:
    IMG_3604.jpg
    Marvel today:
    IMG_3621.jpg

And we did a bit of a pregnancy photoshoot over the weekend. :)
    _DSC0026 (1).jpg
    _DSC0062 (1).jpg
    _DSC0086.jpg
    _DSC0034 (1).jpg