Marketing tips

Discussion in 'For Kids Only' started by sassykaimanawas, Apr 7, 2017.

1. sassykaimanawas

sassykaimanawas Registered

My sister and I run a horse treat business selling sugar cubes (saving up to pay for a horse, assuming we succeed in persuading our mum) - but lately it hasn't been selling too well. We're selling them online, where there's currently a big market for them in our area, but we can't seem to get many customers at the moment. We have different flavours (horse-safe, obviously), sponsors, and have been running competitions. We have plenty of people following us on social media, and we get attention, and had about 20 people apply to be sponsored - but no one wants to pay for any! Could anyone give any suggestions?

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Idk about the cubes. What about the treats and add as an incentive a free little bit of the cubes? I know a lot of people like a banana flavoured treat and it's kinda hard to find, but I suggest adding chopped dried banana chips to it for oomph. I'd try a trial run and see how it goes.

3. Alsosusieq2

Maybe add the link here as I'm having a hard time conceiving what your cubes look like. You can also put up your products in the classified section here, did you know that?

4. sassykaimanawas

The link is 10 The Mane Treats NZ Sugercubes
    I didn't know that! Thank you!

5. Alsosusieq2

Those are cool-!! If I were marketing them I'd have strictly horse related flavours and keep it simple. Apple, carrot and peppermint. I think narrowing your flavour choices down would keep confusion to the minimum and help get rid of inventory. You could also do a mystery mixed bag selection of flavours for those you already have. I don't know why but mystery bags for some reason people love-!! I'd do that and up your turnover.

6. sassykaimanawas

We did originally only have those flavours, but we came up with some more as the owners of the horses might take a bite or two!;)

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Most people know to limit sugar intake in horses. It really isn't good for them. This is probably why you aren't getting buyers.

Try a healthier snack.

DelP likes this.
  8. Alsosusieq2

That's kind of it in a nutshell.

When you're selling a product, you target the buyer and intent. Don't make ten different flavours just in case the owner might bite one. They're for the horse.

I'd go with the health snack option and toss in the sugar cubes as an incentive but just as a freebie extra to get the sale.. Meaning only toss in a couple bagged up for free. Most people know better than to give a sugar cube very often. I don't but maybe once in a blue moon.

9. Alsosusieq2

There was a thread replied to yesterday "horse treats without oats" in the health section I believe. They had quite a few interesting treat recipes, different than the usual kind. Just throwing that out. :)

10. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

1. Get a Facebook page and start advertising your treats to the horse groups on there. You may notice an increase in sales by marketing directly to people on Facebook, rather than relying on online classified ads. By posting in horse-centric facebook groups, you'll be in the eye of people who are looking to purchase something and at $4.00, the treats are very affordable.

2. Expand your product line and include items for the horses who can't have a lot of sugar. Explore oat and molasses cookies, maybe crunchy carrot cookies, a banana flavored something. I've heard of people who feed their horses dehydrated fruit as a treat - it's all natural sugars, it keeps better than fresh fruit and you may be able to figure out a way to make a treat out of it.

3. Take real good pictures of the product.

4. Ask for testimonials/reviews and post them on your Facebook page.

5. Drop the part about selling the cookies as a way to save money for a horse. That may scare people away because they automatically assume you have no real life horse knowledge and you're hawking treats without any research or idea what horses can and cannot have.

Good luck! If you'd like to run some ideas by me, throw me a message. I work full time as a website designer and social media marketer, so I'm quite familiar with how online sales work. :)