Mark is lame :'( (vet was called)

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Rachel1786, Aug 3, 2018.

1. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Wow, he was super lame. Almost looks higher up though like maybe he slipped in the pasture. Is he a rescue or just older?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Don't lunge a lame horse. To see if he's lame, have someone trot him away from you, or the Vet, in a straight line, then stop, turn him around and trot towards you.

Your horse is landing toe first on that foot and lunging him like that is hard on his whole back end and causes him to further irritate his stifle.

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Yeah, most definitely.

He needs some down time. He likely slipped in the mud. Just think simple at first as he'd not given indicators before that.

4. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

That was my thought, but by Saturday AM when the vet came out he was just mildly off and after a thorough assessment she said it was just a heel bruise. Apparently he has low soft heels and will be prone to them so she's recommending iodine or keratex for his feet and feed through biotin. He also has weak stifles from being out of shape and suggested hill work(unfortunately no hills near me tho) and ground polls to strengthen them.

He is 20 years old and I just adopted him from a horse rescue.

I didn't have anyone there with me at the time and I was trying to see if I could tell where he was off, I only did it for as long as the video was. Normally I wouldn't have but I was really having a tough time telling where he was off. I ended up cold hosing his leg from stifle down just to cover all the bases.

I really thought the same but final diagnosis was just a heel bruise. I was certain he was running and slipped wrong and was going to need months of rehab and stall rest. I was pleasantly surprised to find a just barley off horse on Saturday AM.

LoveTrail and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

That's a huge sigh of relief.

6. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

Yes it is, I thought for sure it was something more serious the way he was favoring it! He had had an abscess before I went to see him at the rescue and the lady said he "thought he was dying" so apparently he is just one of those ultra dramatic horses with nothing stoic about them.

7. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

Mark is looking completely sound today, his Davis barrier boot got twisted in turnout today so we're going to try without it, hopefully he doesn't get sore again! It was probably because the bugs were so bad so he was doing a lot of stomping since the boot stayed in place during night turnout last night. We're debating keeping them in tomorrow since its going to be hotter, but we really hate keeping them stalled when its not thunder storming!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Acting like that during an abscess isn't dramatic. They hurt, and will present lame anywhere from the knee on up. Don't be shocked if he ends up with one again, especially if his hoof care has been so so, which is sounds given the condition of his heels. Have some epsom salt and iodine on hand, and a bucket wide enough for him to stand in.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

I'm not saying it doesn't hurt, but my mare has had a couple abscess in the 8 years I've owned her and I never would have known had the farrier not told me she had had one, so I'm just used to them being a little more stoic, now put an ill fitting saddle on my mare and she'll tell you what she thinks but apparently abscess aren't a big deal to her.

I already have a tub of Epsom salts, I have keratex somewhere, and I can get some iodine too.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

If they act like it hurts bad then it hurts bad. It really is that simple.

Ever had a headache that hurt worse than someone else's headache?