Mark is lame :'( (vet was called)

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Rachel1786, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

Mark, my new horse who've I've only for not even 2 weeks, is lame. Yesterday he was off coming in from the pasture, it was muddy from all the rain so I thought maybe he just pulled something so I cold hosed(his whole leg because I couldn't feel any heat or see any swelling). He seemed a bit better, bearing full weight and grazing while I hosed it. Today he got turned out(by the girl that boards with me that does the AM feed and turnout). I was super busy at work today and when I went to bring him in around 4:30 he looked much worse, putting weight on it, but clearly hurting, so I put him in his stall and fed him, (still didn't feel any noticeable heat) and went to feed my other horse while he ate. Around an hour later(maybe not even) I came back to cold hose him again and he barley wanted to put any weight on it. This time I could feel heat in his stiffle/patella area. I called the vet(answering service) and waited almost an hour for her to call me back (she was with an emergency) and discussed what had happened, I gave him 2 grams of the expired bute I had(7/2017) and rubbed some minty smelling epsom salt poltice I had "for strains, sprains, abscesses and bruises" vet is going to come out in the morning after she checks her colic emergency, she said as long as he's eating and drinking and I gave him some bute he doesn't need to be seen tonight. So he's tucked into his stall with extra hay and extra bedding.
    Keep your fingers crossed that its something minor, after loosing Legacy less then 3 months ago, I cant take another loss :cry:, its the same vet coming out tomorrow that put Leggy down

2. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

jinglessss!!!!

3. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

Sending jingles! My friend's horse had heat and significant swelling to the inside of the stifle, and I think he slipped and did a split sort of move, straining his adductors. He wasn't horribly lame, but you couldn't even lightly touch the area without him trying to kick you. It took a while to resolve but cold hosing and massage as he could tolerate it helped.

4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Jingling for you and Mark!

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Sounds like an abcess brewing. They get off and on lame, some days a little, some days three legged lame.

Soak his foot in warm water with a handful of epsom salts 2x a day for 20 min.

And NO bute~!!

StraightandTrue and doublelranch like this.
  6. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Abscess was my first thought as well, especially when you said the pasture was wet. They will present off and on until they go full blown lame and it'll look like they're lame up higher in the leg area. Do exactly as Manes said. Soak 2-3x a day for 20 minutes, and movement is good, it'll help work the abscess out.

StraightandTrue likes this.
  7. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

So the vet came out around 10am, I only got to the barn a few minutes before she did, I could tell without even bringing him out that he was hugely improved over night. He was also being very calm for being in by himself(my other TB, Bella, would have been trying to break down the stall lol), so I groomed him in the stall while I waited and took him out when she got there. After checking him over, she thinks he just has a heal bruise. She prescribed bute twice a day for 2 days and once a day for 3, getting him some magic cushion to pack his hoof at night, keratex for his soft low heals and biotin(which I already give to Bella), he did have an abscess before I went to see him, not sure which hoof that was tho, but he wasn't reactive to the hoof testers. She said give him off for a week(haven't even ridden him yet) but after that she does recommend riding him because he does have weak stifles and she wants him in work to build up the muscle. She is pretty sure he is fine, but if not better in a week to call back for a full lameness eval, she isn't thinking it will be necessary tho. The one horse is at a show today so I turned him out in her pasture which is dryer, unfortunately he won't be able to go out there tomorrow tho

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  8. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

Forgot to post a pic of him enjoying sharing the fence line with Bella and Si (Si is making friends, Bella was trying to keep Si away from him, she finally gave up lol)
    20180804_120408.jpg

9. Rachel1786

Rachel1786 Senior Member

This was the video I took the other day(it was taking forever to upload), I wish I could have gotten one of the dramatic improvement today, but it rained hard last night so the footing is mushy again

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

oi.