Mare teat swollen

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by nicz2cu, Feb 17, 2007.

1. nicz2cu

nicz2cu Senior Member+

I just came in from grooming my three and found one of Shadows teats swollen badly, tight as a drum..... the whole bag. It didn't feel hot to the touch. I'll have a vet here as soon as possible but in the meantime, what should I do? Would it be alright to give her bute, she's not bred and Daisie has been weaned for five months now. I don't have a clue what's caused this, didn't see any bite marks. I can't post any pictures, don't have a working camera at the moment. She seems slightly uncomfortable moving the leg on that side.

2. buddiebreeze

buddiebreeze Senior Member+

sounds like she may have an infected milk duct, your vet will probable give her antibiotics for this. Is there any discharge from it??

3. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

Sounds like mastitis (spelling?). I wouldn't give bute without the vet knowing as he might not be able to get an accurate diagnosis when he gets there.

4. mandiemoo

mandiemoo Senior Member+

hmmmmmmmm, i wonder if it is mastitis?? its weird that the teat isnt hot to touch, is it painful at all when you touch it??how old is she?

5. nicz2cu

nicz2cu Senior Member+

Didn't see any, I squeezed it litely nothing came out.

6. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

nicz2cu likes this.
  7. nicz2cu

nicz2cu Senior Member+

Would that be possible being she's not been producing milk for about 4-5 months. What causes mastitis, I thought that was only associated with milk production. I'm on the verge of pulling my hair out. She flinched when I put a little pressure on it but did not kick out. She's between 17-18 far as we know.

8. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

It's caused by a bacterial infection. If she was 'recently' lactating, she would/could be at a decently high risk for it.

9. nicz2cu

nicz2cu Senior Member+

Thank you Dawn, this is probably the problem as she does seem a little depressed and moving the leg on that side as if it's somewhat stiff. Should I do warm compress until I can get the vet here on Monday?

10. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

If it's going to be that long, I would definately do compresses and get ahold of the vet and ask about bute.