Mare is still in season

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by kvmt10, Jun 16, 2006.

1. kvmt10

kvmt10 Senior Member+

Ok Narjean is a 15yr old mare and she generally goes into season for 4 to 10 days. This time she has been going for almost a month. Its winter here and she generally doesnt go into heat unless its spring or summer.
    Is there anything wrong with this, or is she just changing her pattern?

2. BestofPrincess

BestofPrincess Senior Member+

Id have a vet check her out!
    Is she around a stallion?

3. kvmt10

kvmt10 Senior Member+

No she isnt around a stallion which is why its quite odd. I might try some other herbal things but if they dont work i will definetely get the vet.

4. madvoice

madvoice Senior Member+

Remember what I spoke to you about in Chat last night. Speak to your vet about Regumate. Its worth a shot. Also, you can add some brewer's yeast to the feed as the vitamin B in the yeast has been known to calm a mare's season.

5. BestofPrincess

honestly I am thinking some thing might not be right so please get a vet to check her out

6. kvmt10

kvmt10 Senior Member+

Ok thanx guys. i will see if she calms down with the brewers yeast which we were actually going to start using for Viktor as well!
    If that doesnt work then i will get the vet and ask about regumate.
    Thanx for your concern BestofPrincess but isnt acting out of character or anything, she is just still a little frisky!!
    If we cant get it under control then i will get someone to check her out.

7. BestofPrincess

they dont have to act out of character simply contious cycling can mean a cyst, tumur, ect

8. imacowgirl2

imacowgirl2 Senior Member+

Ditto. When a mare starts weird cycling like that with NO reason, especially an older mare, I would worry about tumors, cysts, or something else. Tumors can be life threatening, so they aren't something to mess around with, and most problems in the repro system are WAY easier to deal with if caught early. If you are worried about needlessly having a vet out (and the $$ associated...who wouldn't??) then at least just call your vet office and tell them about it, and see what their feelings are -- a phone call is free ;)

9. kvmt10

kvmt10 Senior Member+

Ok good news, called the vet and asked him, he suspects it is just a prolonged cycle so nothing to worry about. just have to keep an eye on her. Thanx for the advice though!
    My friends horse had a cyst on the ovary and trust me they have a severe change in character! But anyways if she is better again tomorrow i think she is just being a tart. Im not worried about getting the vet, I assure you I'm the first to do so if something is wrong!
    Thanx for the concern guys, i will keep you updated.
    looks good so far though!