mare bred on 14th now has discharge

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by daisymay, May 20, 2011.

1. daisymay

daisymay Senior Member

so my mare had a repro check this spring. I decided to take her to the breeders and she was last bred on the 14th (live cover)
    now she has discharge(20th), should i be worried. do you think she got an infection?
    she does pool urine ,which i found out when she was checked. must of been from her last foal in 2010.

I know that it is possible to not get her in foal ,but its also possible for her to get prego so thought i would go for it.

She is going to be checked first week of June, should I have get her ultrasound sooner to see if something else is going on?

thank you in advance.

2. harm781

harm781 Senior Member

Have your vet take a culture ASAP if she's dirty she should be treated post breeding to clean her up and help chances of catching.

3. daisymay

daisymay Senior Member

thank you, that is what i was thinking, she got an infection. do they just take a culture and thats it? should i have her do another ultrasound. this is a new vet, different from the one i used before. that vet said to have a caslick done with the urine pooling, which will not help since she is not tipped.

4. Equine Repro

Equine Repro Senior Member

No way of knowing without doing a culture and cytology. Additionally, at this stage of the game, the cervix should be closed, so chances are unlikely that it's coming from the uterus.

No real point in checking her before the 30th. It won't tell you anything, except that she might have some fluid in theuterus. But, if she is indeed pregnant, you do NOT want to pull a culture and go through that closed cervix - you would basically throw out any chance of having a pregnancy by doing that. And, the equine uterus is quite amazing at blocking off an infection from spreading tot he rest of their bodies. So, check her between 14 and 16 days post ovulation. If you didn't check her to confirm that she ovulated, check her 14 days after you last saw her teasing or 16 days from your last breeding date. At that time, if she's not pregnant, you can have your vet pull a culture and cytology to determineif there is any pathogen residing in her uterus. Good luck!

5. daisymay

daisymay Senior Member

ok, thank you !!!!!!!!!! didnt want to mess anything up. yes the vet is hopefully coming on the 31st or 1st. so if she isnt prego then get her checked out again. what is a cytology?

6. Equine Repro

Equine Repro Senior Member

Any time a culture is done on the equine uterus, a cytology should be done in conjunction with that culture to determine if indeed what is grown in the culture is a pathogen in the uterus or a contaminant picked up going through the vuvla and vagina. Cytologys show immune response cells - eosinophils, neutrophils, etc. - which indicates that something is irritating the uterus. If your culture grows something but the cytology shows no response cells, chances are the culture growth is a contaminant. However, if your cytology shows a high number of neutrophils, etc, chances are very good that what the culture grows is what needs to be treated. Without a cytology, the culture by itself is useless and you stand the very real chance of "treating" something that is not there. The biggest problem with that is that you can kill off the natural flora and the yeast come in and party. You can create a massive super infection by treating something that is not there. Good luck!

7. harm781

harm781 Senior Member

thanks for that, my mare was dirty and didn't catch first A.I. When vet checked her at 15 days stated she was dirty so vet pulled culture then we insemenated again and then vet treated her post breeding. I didn't know that before or after breeding made a difference on a culture but I'm following the vets advice so glad you cleared that up.

8. daisymay

daisymay Senior Member

thank you, ill let you know what happens. hope she is prego. , if she is, then if she does have an infection, does she get rid of it herself?

9. spacely

spacely Senior Member

Kathy can answer a bit better but if she has an infection, she is not pregnant. You will need to treat the infection & will need to make sure it's gone with a clean culture & cytology before rebreeding.

10. daisymay

daisymay Senior Member

ok so if she is prego then no infection, makes sense. so if she has an infection, how long does it usually take to treat (average time)