Manure!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by PiaffePony0412, Dec 29, 2009.

1. PiaffePony0412

PiaffePony0412 Senior Member

Let's talk about poop!!! :D
    I want to hear what you guys have to say on a few topics, how you maintain your poop and maybe some advice on finding or working out a way around a manure spreader.

I'm on 5 acres with 4 horses (2 are boarders and are leaving in Jan, so it will just be my guys) who are out 12h/in 12h. I drag/rake my pastures, and also collect a lot of poop for a compost pile- I have read that your grass benefits more from composted manure than regular- because it is able to release the nutrients slowly vs. drying out and loosing about 50% of it's nitrogen. However, I have read conflicting things on the best kind of pile. Some say you can throw it all in there, shavings, leaves, food waste etc., and others say you should separate things that break down quicker like manure and leaves from things that breakdown slower like wood shavings, banana peels and straw. And you should only spread the manure based compost in your pastures.
    In fact, I have read in some books that you shouldn't even drag what manure is in there around in your pastures.... because of the parasite's etc. In my experience, this is what most people do- and the sun is supposed to kill any larvae/poop inhabitants?? Of course assuming all horses are on a good deworming schedule also.

I have been spending lots of time in the Tractor Supply book aisle and so now I'm all confused! haha
    Maybe somebody can add some clarity from their own experience!

I currently have a pile for what comes out of my stalls, and then I have my puuuurely poop compost pile. :) Needless to say, I was hoping to get a manure spreader for Christmas!!!! I really really want one- but I can't shell out $500 right now- and that is the cheapest I have found!

Anybody know where I might be able to get one for cheaper? I've tried a few private retailer's websites, Tractor Supply and I check craigslist regularly. :(

Is it possible I could just use a heavy duty broad spreader made for fertilizer? Obviously it wouldn't hold as much, but I'm just not sure if it would be efficient at breaking up the material....?

Anybody maybe have some alternative methods of advice? Any "Poop-b-gone!", "Poopf!" or "Manur-away" sprays out there??? :) ;)

Thanks!!!!

-Piaffepony0412

2. magicalmiracle

magicalmiracle Senior Member

Lol I love your comment about the sprays! Sorry though, I don't have any ideas for anything cheaper.

3. kmdstar

kmdstar Senior Member

I know this is old...but I'm bumping it up because I'm getting curious about spreaders! :D

4. FarFromOver

FarFromOver Senior Member+

I'd like to know where I can get a manure spreader for $500! The only ones I've seen have been well above that.

5. kmdstar

kmdstar Senior Member

LOL me too! I'm doing some early planning for when I get my own place and shopping for spreaders, I haven't found anything less than 1000.

6. FarFromOver

FarFromOver Senior Member+

I've seen them used for $1000:eek2:

7. Ambrose

Ambrose Senior Member+

I have to go around and kick the piles into little pieces because there IS no manure spreader.

...Good stress relief though! Nothing makes you feel better about taking cr*p than kicking the cr*p out of cr*p!

8. azboo

azboo Senior Member

You can have me for $1000. J/K but unfortunately true. It goes in the arena and a couple of times a week we work it in with a drag. The arena base is decomposed granite and it keeps the footing nice and soft. We have 3 horses that contribute on a daily basis. :D

ETA: In the rainy season we will sometimes have to add shavings to the wet spots but so far it's working really well for us.

9. Mare

Mare Senior Member

I drag my pastures and one area where they are in the winter gets pretty gross. I make a big poop pile and they lay in it, play in it and neighbors take it for their gardens.

10. azboo

azboo Senior Member

Amen to that!!!!