Mane N Tail

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by jojozwiebel, Nov 10, 2017.

1. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

Is it worth buying a specific "horse shampoo"? My aunt works for a company that makes soap so I usually just use whatever she has extra of or I buy the cheap shampoo and conditioner from Walmart. What about detangler/hair growth product? Walmart has Mane N Tail shampoo and conditioner cheaper at Walmart than I can find online so I was wondering if I should continue purchasing cheap human products or purchase Mane N Tail. Thoughts? Or other brand ideas?

And here's a picture of Rock because he's cute!
    image.jpeg

Larkspade likes this.
  2. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

I buy from the dollar store, doesn't seem to bother there hair coats or tails any. Some say certain ingredients dry out hair, tails and manes, but I have used the cheap shampoo and conditioners and have had good results.

3. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

I thought this thread was dedicated to @manesntails at first

GONE ROPING, AmyK, Puddincup and 2 others like this.
  4. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

That does seem suspicious! :ROFLMAO: @.Delete.

Unless she's soapy, too!

manesntails and Larkspade like this.
  5. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

I use horse shampoo and not the froo-froo stuff.

I have used some sort of iodine shampoo for years because the iodine (also has aloe) does a wiz-bang job of getting the ticks to stand up after a trail ride theu the pine and cedar trees.

I also use MalAcetic for skin allergies and Vetrolin shampoo as a bracer.

Now to the kicker----- I sweat thru my scalp during our very humid summers, when I'm at the barn. One hot and miserable summer day, I was particularly annoyed at the sweat so I grabbed the horses Vwtrolin shampoo and washed my hair at the barn.

It smelled Medicated but it was really soothing. Annnnnnnd to my amazement I realized my old age hair wasn't shedding as much. I decided to keep using the Vetrolin horse shampoo and also the Vetrolin conditioner. My hair has been greatly reduced and thus has gotten thicker --- it's the only thing that's changed.

Makes me wonder what's in human shampoos to "enhance" thinning if a person is already predisposed to it. As long as the Vetrolin keeps working, I will keep using it and no more human shampoos for my head much less my horses:poop:

manesntails likes this.
  6. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

Human shampoo is formulated to sell conditioner.
    My aide has psoriasis on her scalp . She said all the shampoos made her scalp burn and her hair brittle. I told her about Mane & Tail.. She thought I was nuts,but everything else I'd ever told her was true,so she bought some. She is thrilled at the difference it has made to both her hair and the psoriasis :)

gaitedboomer likes this.
  7. CupcakeCoquette

CupcakeCoquette Full Member

I haven't bathed a horse since I moved, so I couldn't tell you what's "popular" out here, but back home I saw everything from the Vat-O-Orvus for the barn/lesson horses, to people grabbing their own shampoo out of the shower on show prep days, to Wisk for white socks. So I always got the feeling it's pretty much, "Whatever works for you." ^.^

I always heard about Mane N Tail being sooo great for humans, too, but my boyfriend had a couple of bottles waiting for me when I got here, and I didn't see any difference whatsoever. So I went back to the pink stuff that costs a buck and smells like strawberries. >.>

8. Lileon Bierman

Lileon Bierman Full Member

Here in Australia I use shampoos called Khonke's Own Kleen Sheen or Troy: Hoss Gloss.

Kleen Sheen I think is only for horses and is medicated but Troy has many 'versions' if you will, that can be used for just horses, just cattle, just dogs or all three. I would recommend Troy: Hoss Gloss seeing as it is the one we use more often because it is less expensive and still medicated. Some Troy products also include insect repelant. I am not sure whereabouts you are or if either of those are available, but that's what I use.

As for detangling, I don't actually use a product for that. I wash my horse's mane and tail as normal with the shampoo on hand. When both mane and tail are completely dry, I just proceed to brush it out with a regular human hair-brush. That seems to do the trick.

My mother however uses Johnson's Baby Shampoo to detangle her Clydesdale's mane and tail. She also then waits until it is dry and brushes it out with a human hair-brush and says it works. He smells like baby powder afterwards... So cute. :heartbeat:

But if I really had no choice to wash a horse, I'd probably just grab whatever shampoo I had, or even a soap bar and wash the horse. (y)

9. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I use Mane N Tail on my horses. I remember when my mom used it on hair back in the 70s before they marketed it to humans too. I usually buy mine at Safeway when on sale. It's about three to four dollars cheaper that way. You can dilute it to make it last longer and it still does a good job.

10. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

I bathe my horses with.....baby shampoo :) I use it because there really isn't anything in it - that's what makes it so gentle for babies ;) It's cheap, does a wonderful job and I don't worry about skin reactions. For shows I'll use whitening shampoo on the white parts of them if the baby shampoo doesn't work but it usually does.