Mane growth?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by cowgurlshorty, Dec 31, 2018.

1. cowgurlshorty

cowgurlshorty Full Member

Hi everyone i have two horses who this summer got their manes ripped out buy wire cable fencing where I was boarding. (I have recently moved due to the fact the facility owners didn't care about my animals welfare only the money)
    My black mare had a gorgeous thick mane but now it has chunks missing and looks horrible,
    my paint had a thin baby mane and now looks like a foal with curly frizzy growth.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had fencing rip mane out, I'm concerned their manes wont grow back in properly or at all, if any one has tips on what might help the hair grow back quick please let me know!?

2. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

MTG I can't stand the smell so I use coconut oil instead. A good diet with a biotin supplement will help too.

3. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Senior Member+

Shave it off, feed BioMane, massaged coconut oil in.

Braid when it gets long enough and use tail bags for tails. If you blanket, make sure the blanket isn’t rubbing.

4. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

FootWise™

Have had really good results with horses I have put on this. Not just for hooves of course! Coats were gleaming and good healthy mane and tail.

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Give them time to regrow. If the new place has good fencing & they aren’t sticking their heads through it, it will regrow.

6. cowgurlshorty

I live in Canada and can’t afford biomane the exchange rate is too high, or I would’ve already been feeding them that. I’d feel horrible shaving their manes off

7. slc

slc Senior Member

Do not shave the mane off. It will stand up for a long time if you shave it. Just leave it alone and let it grow.

Cutting hair off does not make it grow back faster. So it serves no purpose, just makes it stand up which makes it more prone to rubbing.

8. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I think the more long term solution to your problem might be why were the horses so itchy that they rubbed their manes out in the fence.

Do you have midges in your area? Mosquitos? Could the horses have thread worm? Dry skin? Diet lacking in healthy omega fats?

9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Or was the pasture simply greener on the other side???

10. cowgurlshorty

That’s what I thought, I hate cutting their hair, I feel horrible when I do that, I feel bad cutting a bridle path