Making your own wooden hay feeders??

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by mtroika, Feb 26, 2007.

1. mtroika

mtroika Senior Member+

Hey!!!

Anyone have any instructions or links to sites on how to make your own wooden hay feeders???

2. Snark

Snark Full Member

You mean like this?

[​IMG]

3. imacowgirl2

imacowgirl2 Senior Member+

We have ones just like that one in the previous post, only instead of slats going down, we have plywood -- keeps them from loosing so much hay :D

I wouldnt have a clue how to make them though -- I helped Dad make them, but I was about seven LOL

4. Snark

Snark Full Member

We have the slats because sometimes the horses, lousy housekeepers that they are, will leave a... ah... 'gift' in the manger that shouldn't be there. It's a lot easier to sweep everything out through the slats than try to dig it out with a shovel... if you know what I mean... ;)

We built ours from 2x4s and used 2x2s for the slats. We doubled the 2x4s on the sides and front for more stability. Made the top portion wide enough to accomodate a feed tub in a corner and narrowed it down to about 16 inches at the base. With the slant, it's harder for the pawers to put a foot through (although the slats are wide enough so they don't get caught) and a couple of the horses prefer to pull the hay out from the bottom anyway.

mtroika likes this.
  5. CowGirlUp1833

CowGirlUp1833 Senior Member+

Belle4 had a really nice one in her pictures.....

6. PHANTOMCOWGIRL

PHANTOMCOWGIRL Senior Member

i mad afeeder for my hors elow to grouond since he like putiing his food on the floor worked to keep him from doing that but he started eating it :frown:

7. mtroika

mtroika Senior Member+

Snark, yes almost like that, but not attached to the wall. A wooden one that can stand in a paddock. You kind of understand what I mean?? I'm showing my BF the pic of yours mabe he can figure out how to make it from that??? But he's not the handiest LOL

THANKS

8. Snark

Snark Full Member

For a paddock feeder, I'd take our design and make one back to back. Does that make sense? I'd sink four 4x4s in concrete for the corners because we've found our horses also think of their mangers as convenient scratching posts or a place to perch their fannies while contemplating Life. You don't want your horses knocking the feeder down or practicing Feng Shui around the paddock. I'd also seriously consider putting a roof on the feeder to keep the hay dry.

9. mtroika

mtroika Senior Member+

Thanks alot Snark!!!!!! :) BTW the horsey in your picture you posted is VERY pretty!

10. wyldterv

wyldterv Senior Member+

LSU AgCenter . Calf Hay Feeder

These are directions for a covered hay rack but you could make it with out the cover too I'm sure... I want Rocketman to build me this WITH the cover to keep they hay dry in the rain:)