Maintaining a roach

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by alwaysacolt, Nov 11, 2018.

1. alwaysacolt

alwaysacolt Full Member

I'm looking for opinions on Beau's roach
    It doesn't give the perfectly straight look that I keep seeing roaches have :/
    When we started the roach I went all the way down. Buzzed off all the mane and let it grew naturally. After the 1st month of growth I noticed it getting bushy. I took my small clippers and eyeballed a trim to make it look semi straight. Usually I have to keep this up weekly or every 2 weeks. Does anyone else find the roaches to be high maintenance like this? What are your thoughts on his roach?

The picture shows his roach now. I attempted a new method of trimming and he messed it up

20181104_134613.jpg

2. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

No help here.... I cut ALL of my gelding's mane off for it to grow back beautifully and it is. It is very long, thick, and healthy. He looked bald at first.

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Dependent upon the length of the roach, I use either my boot, or a hammer..

:ROFLMAO:

Cut it into dinosaur triangles.
    I did that on my mule, Millie a few times. Looked cool. Got tons of compliments.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  4. Barrelracer318

Barrelracer318 Senior Member

When it starts getting bushy, with normal clippers, I trim straight up parallel with the neck. When it's getting long I take body clippers so they're just about wide enough to get his entire mane and trim it to the same length and then clean it up with normal clippers and scissors. Hopefully that makes sense.

ginster likes this.
  5. Barrelracer318

Barrelracer318 Senior Member

I don't have any pics that I can easily grab on my phone but I have a million pics of my guy in his own thread, "Update on my standardbred, Illlusion."

ginster likes this.
  6. Oaks

Oaks Full Member

I've only roached my horses. I use a short guard, typically a one or two, and then buzz straight up the mane till I hit the forelock. I then move down a guard size and buzz up on both sides of that initial roach, in order to blend it into the neck and to cut any stray hairs or frizzies. When actively showing, I do this about once every two weeks. My gelding grows an unruly mane and I hate banding, so chop chop!

7. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

I just touched up my mares mane and it made me think of this thread. My version of maintaining my mares roach is to take it all the way down every few months and ignore it in between. If she's going to a show I will clip it a week or so before. To avoid the bushy flat top look as the mane grows out I roach it on an angle. So first take the clippers flat on top of the crest and straight down the middle. Then clip on an angle on each side. This leaves you with the crest looking rounded all the way along the top and as it grows out it will be taller in the middle and give more of a mohawk look which tends to stay tidier looking.

Here's the freshly clipped mane.
    [​IMG]

And here is it grown out about 3 inches long. Not the best pic but this was several months of growth.
    [​IMG]

kodemiester and Larkspade like this.
  8. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I do Foxy's roach similar to Oak's. Usually do it when I want to take a photo of his progress. He has low end insulin resistance and his crest is the one taking longest to go away of his fat pads and the mane growing out makes his neck look worse than it is.

Foxy1120108.jpg

ChestersMomma likes this.
  9. draftmare

draftmare Registered

Feeling pretty jealous of those that can do it with clippers. My horse is terrified of them so I have to do it with scissors. It can look a little rough the first couple of days but then grows out evenly. Thankfully in the winter it doesn't grow very much so I can give my scissors hand a break. :LOL:

[​IMG]