Luna...home, for good

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by OldGreyMare, Oct 8, 2018.

1. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

Our Luna is home, she came way later Saturday than expected, which was okay as I have been in and out of the ER (and surgery, but whole other story) all week so we had a bit more time to prepare. She arrives very tired, so we put her on the one side of the pasture we had fenced off for her and I got up every few hours to check on her.

Next morning she was pacing, trotting around, calling for the 3 Elders across our driveway and just putting herself in a lather so, I got "Auntie" Smoke and they were instant buds:

Can we be friends?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Auntie Smoke: "Luna, let me show you the food buffet, follow me":
    [​IMG]

Luna: "Well this east coast grass isn't too bad":
    [​IMG]

This morning though, Smoke wanted nothing to do with Luna, she was tired, hot, and the humidity was up so she wanted nothing more than to go back into the barn under the fans. We made the decision to let Luna go with the other 2 as the flies are horrid right now regardless of if you spray them down.

There was squealing, kicking, hopping, grumbling off and on for about an hour, now, they are all in, the barn aisle the doors on either side are wide open for easy entry/exit, and every so often they come out to eat they square bale of soft timothy I threw all over the place to give them something to occupy themselves with when they were first introduced. Worked pretty well.

Luna watching the others:
    [​IMG]

Luna is sticking really close to Smoke, like by her side close, so I think she is finding reassurance from her for now. Hopefully she will become independent once she is here for a while and realizes she isn't going to be taken anywhere or tossed in with a stallion. We are getting her checked over by our vet Thursday, and pregnancy check is top of the list.
    [​IMG]

2. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

She's a pretty thing. Hopefully she settles in soon. Glad to hear it is going well so far.

3. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

She is part of the matched set, lol. She looks just like the others. Hope all works out well and everyone gets along.

OldGreyMare likes this.
  4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

She. is. gorgeous! I am not usually a fan of crossing breeds that differ so greatly but she is one of the great examples that it can work!

5. OldGreyMare

All doing good so far, a few scrapes and a cut...will doctor those this morning when we go out to feed. Watching them while leaning on a rail this morning with a cup of coffee, I watched her firmly plant herself next to the alpha, aka Terry, making Lucy, who is next in line move. Interesting to see the shift of power...

Thanks @ginster . She is a stout girl, like you I am not a big fan of crossing different breeds, but yes, she has low withers, broad back, and my mind is whirling with a saddle horse. BUT....her left hind ankle will be checked out once she settles and I get to know her personality better. Can't wait to see her bloom under more attentive owner, love, care and see what she does.

doublelranch, ginster and Arem like this.
  6. stardozer

stardozer Full Member

What happened? Did you sell her then get her back? She’s gorgeous!!!!!

7. OldGreyMare

No, the friend who had her had sold her to someone that she had thought would provide a good home but in the end, tried to breed her and then when she wouldn't catch, or so I am told, called me to see if I wanted her. Course, I said yes. NOT the best time, but I make time for them all.

She has a lot of little things that I am going to have to put to right...crowding and no personal space, leading with a halter on, letting you walk up to her or catch her to put a halter on, nipping, I mean, a lot of little things....as I have said, for now, she is still getting herself in the pecking order and I will wait a few weeks.

Arem likes this.
  8. stardozer

stardozer Full Member

Okay gottca!!

9. OldGreyMare

Thank goodness for the part draft in my stubborn mare...Luna decided today was not the day she wished to have some ground work done and trotted away, so for about 10 minutes I had her trotting and cantering around our small field, didn't give her a moment rest. After she started to show signs that she wasn't keen on the continual movement I allowed her to stop, then walked up to her. She went to move I stopped and talked to her in a calm even voice. She lowered her head, chewed a few times and I slipped the halter right on her, which I praised her for.

We walked around, stopped, backed, practiced walking at my side not ahead, turning, serpentine, and when I was done, we walked to the gate, I again patted her and told her what a good girl she was. She lowered her head and put it against my chest, she loves to have her jaw scratched lightly with my nails so I did that then put the halter back on her, as I wanted to see what Luna would do. Never budged, so when I was done she got 2 cookies, a pat, scratches and left to do what she wanted.