Low profile helmets

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by StarPattern, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

That's strange, draftmare...CO hats were the "most bulbous" I ever wore...although not nearly as bad as some of the older GPAs that the barn had for lesson use. The CO hats were also the hottest I owned; even the AYR8 had very limited ventilation compared later helmets.

Rhythm 'n Blues and NBChoice like this.
  2. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

Maybe its a Canadian thing, but I don't think I have ever considered how hot my helmet is. Not once.

I just assume I'm going to sweat in them. If its 30 degrees, and Im riding that seems like a given?

uncanny580 and mooselady like this.
  3. draftmare

draftmare Full Member

I have only had the CO since this past fall so I can't comment on how hot I feel in it. Plus I do most of my sweating from my head while riding. It's rather embarrassing that I honestly look like I just got out of the shower when I take my helmet off.

I have the JR8, which I guess is technically their children's helmet, but comes in adult sizes which is confusing. I've been told its the same as the GR8 in construction except the cheek straps are cheaper. I really like it because it feels like it is really on my head, instead of more perched. I've been going back and forth on if I want to keep my Trauma Void because I feel like the JR8 is more steady on my head, but I like the MIPS technology in my Trauma Void, especially after now having had two concussions.

4. Jim_in_PA

For those of us who sweat a lot in our helmets, ventilation does matter...especially when it starts to run into our eyes. Further, lack or or poor ventilation can be dangerous in some cases. Better ventilation also means "less funk". :) The more comfortable a helmet is, the more likely folks will use it properly and constantly.

DelP likes this.
  5. draftmare

draftmare Full Member

Oh my gosh, sweat in the eyes in the summer is worst. I am always having to fight funky smelling helmets regardless of how much ventilation it has. I had several liners for my One K so that I could swap them out and washing them on the regular in the summer.

Charles Owen and Trauma Void were highly rated in the recent Swedish test of the safest helmets, so when my One K bit the bullet in my accident this fall I decided to give Charles Owen a try. Charles Owen also passes the SNELL test which tests for side impact such as a kick. SNELL isn't required here in the US, but is becoming more standard in the UK.

6. Jim_in_PA

Don't get me wrong...CO makes mighty fine hats and they have excellent multiple certifications. They were just like an oven on me (even in the winter) and that went away when I moved to the Speed'Air and later to the One-K.

7. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

That was the one I had before (CO JR8), and I absolutely hated it... felt like I had a bowling ball on my head.

8. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

We only really have a few weeks of hot weather here anyway. And after cursing the -35*C we get for 8 months... a couple weeks of sweating is so worth it. haha.

hamerface likes this.
  9. stardozer

stardozer Senior Member+

61793E3B-BAE6-4352-B4E4-560DD978FA4D.jpeg
    My IRH
    2CADFD50-686F-45E9-B59B-CA876FFCEB66.jpeg
    I think this was a Charles Owen ?

I don’t ride anymore but I liked the look of one k.

10. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

They definitely come without crystals. You can order it through Divoza. I don't know if they certifications are any different but I don't see them going through the effort of having them certified for only the crystal helmet.