Low profile helmets

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by StarPattern, Jan 29, 2019.

1. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

I'm in the market for a new helmet, and I'm looking for one that is extremely low profile. Most helmets make me look like a bobble head, so I'm looking for something that has a really understated shape that will still protect me without breaking the bank. I'd like to stay around the $200 mark, but I'm not sure if that's possible. No crazy colours either... I'm a pretty plain type of girl. :)

Pictures would also be great, if you have any of you wearing the helmet you recommend. Thank you!

2. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I'd love to hear suggestions too! I wear a Charles owen jr8 helmet and it fits the shape of my head great, but it makes me look like a bobble head. I dont mind at home, but for showing I'd like something a bit less bobbly.

3. DelP

DelP Senior Member

I’ve found the Troxel Sierra to be the coolest temperature helmet for my head. I have the light tan version. It is pretty comfy for long rides.

billz likes this.
  4. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

Is it really low profile though? I live in Alberta, where we have about a week of weather that could be described as warm. lol.

5. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

The tipperary's are fairly low profile.

6. DelP

DelP Senior Member

If temperature isn’t an issue than it may not be worth it. My Troxel Sierra feels like it is lower profile than my Charles Owen Pro II Skull Cap . I like my CO but it feels bulky on my head.

7. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

This is the Sierra on a 7 1/4 Head Size or size L I believe. Its not exactly dainty.

Paige.jpg

My old IRH
    IRH.jpg

and my current One K
    One K Helmet.jpg

Moral of this story, anything that fits my head shape isn't low profile.

I can't get a CO on, nor a Tipperary. Hope the visuals help. IRH, has a new helmet that looks a lot like the One K I am sporting. It might be worth checking out.

@uncanny580 what does Horse & Rider in Sherwood Park carry for brands?

mooselady and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

@hamerface Not those Tipperarys, the Sportage ones.

We don’t have anything in the budget other then the Tipperary :/

@StarPattern what exactly have you worn in the past ? I feel like you don’t have a huge head, which makes everyone look like a bobble head.
    My Kask is pretty low profile but it far exceeds your budget.

Attached Files:

9. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

The bottom line is what actually fits you properly. That's the single most important factor when buying a helmet for riding. How it looks must absolutely be secondary. Your head shape dictates what brands you can wear and be fitting properly...they all fit differently. Be very careful with "adjustable fit" helmets that have mechanical adjustments...it's an added potential point of failure. The best helmets have discrete sizing or use alternative liners for getting exact sizing. It's also a a risk to pile one's hair into a helmet like some disciplines seem to encourage. That compromises the necessary close relationship between the shape of the skull and the inside of the helmet for maximum protection.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. ginster

ginster Senior Member

@txgray has in-depth reviews of several helmets on her blog.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.