Looks like this is goodbye...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by AllyMae, Oct 31, 2017.

1. AllyMae

AllyMae Senior Member

Hey, guys! I just recently put updates in my blog but in case you guys don’t see that, I just sold Captain. The lady is looking at trailering rates as we speak and is so very excited to bring him home. Bittersweet for sure.

Captain came to me as a poorly trained 9 yr old. He spooked, took off, stopped randomly, and bit. While I was still learning to ride, I was learning to train at the same time under an amazing instructor. While it wasn’t ideal, I’m so glad I got to experience such a tough horse so early on. I learned so much about patience, diligence, and respect. Riding and handling is so much more than a horse having respect for you, it’s about having respect for the horse as well. You can’t intimidate these animals into submission, you have to work at it and give them someone to trust and respect. I soon developed soft, quiet hands, steady legs, a very balanced seat, and strong leg and body language cues. I have confidence in myself in most any equine situation now and I have a very very special horse to thank. This is where our journey ends and I couldn’t be more grateful for the important horse and life lessons you taught me. This is where I say goodbye to my heart horse. You’ll be back in work with an awesome horse person in just a few short weeks.
    8BC05640-A6BC-4A51-94A0-F3DA63981904.jpeg 18D63B5F-5CD6-4CDF-A3AC-809128DFCBEF.jpeg 7D45A300-8BEF-4587-ADC6-52AB9811A264.jpeg AE3D010F-487D-4B92-95DD-A00AB77FA680.jpeg
    433C5F27-BFCA-4EE8-9FBE-332D68258747.jpeg

2. arabbarrelracer

arabbarrelracer Full Member

Awe glad you had a good start with him and that he's found a new home with someone who'll love him and use him like you did.
    Good luck with your next horse :D

AllyMae likes this.
  3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Bittersweet for sure...

AllyMae likes this.
  4. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Hey @AllyMae not to seem like a creepy stalker or anything... but I saw Captain up for sale again on facebook. Did this buyer not work out?

AllyMae, ginster and Friesiangirl like this.
  5. AllyMae

AllyMae Senior Member

She came out to ride him and he acted a complete fool. Took her back quite a bit. She was aware he hadn’t been ridden in quite a while but neither of us expected him to take to work like that...he’s only offered to buck once and that was because I tried an ill-fitting saddle on him. He’s never ever bucked to be naughty but he offered to quite a few times with her on board. A bit of attitude with me but straightened up after a while. Got him straight after she left and he was fine but she wasn’t impressed. She said she could tell he wasn’t mean spirited, just not thrilled to be pulled out of the pasture and put to work (which is true) but she’s going to a sale in Kentucky this weekend to see if she finds anything she likes there. If not, she wants to take him on trial for a bit. Revised his ad as a potential buyer needs to be aware he needs an attitude adjustment before being put back into any real work. I would do it but I can’t be in VA for longer than a few days at a time due to responsibilities in NC.

From the ride Saturday.
    16787048-16FA-4D2D-A65C-AFE841823BBC.png E9EEF3F8-6258-455C-867C-C2DEE2636279.png

6. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Aw that's too bad. Yeah the Robertson equine sale is this weekend.

AllyMae likes this.