Looking to Start Doing Showing in Oregon..

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by Tapatch, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Tapatch

Tapatch Registered

Hey horse lovers! I've been riding for a while and I'd love to start doing some low-level showing. I have been leasing a horse for a year but they're retiring soon. I'm looking to probably buy a horse in the future and I have a great private barn within walking distance of my house. However, this isn't a show barn. I'm not sure where to even start looking to show this summer. Does anyone know of some showing groups online or in Oregon, I could take a look at? Even advice for beginning to show in beginner level dressage would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

2. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

If you run a search on google for "horse shows" in your area, I'm sure some information will pop up. Good luck and have fun!

3. slc

slc Senior Member

Best advice is to prepare by taking dressage lessons.

Levels are Intro (no cantering til Intro Test C, even there, not much), Training, First, Second, etc. Start with Intro Level Tests A and B unless you are very comfortable with cantering, then start with Intro Level Test C and Training Level test 1.

4. Breezah

Breezah Senior Member

My advice:
    - find a show barn with a reputable trainer who you can invest in lessons and a program with
    - have that trainer assess your skills and help you shop for a horse that honestly suits your needs and goals

Even if you've been riding for several years, getting into the show world (if you are serious about it and wanting to do more than just local/fun shows) is a whole other ball game. I don't know what I would have done without my trainer there to help ease me into it - I'd likely be an overwhelmed, nervous mess trying desperately to fumble my way through the paces and looking like a fool while doing so.

Just like with horses, having a solid foundation is very important and your coach will be bedrock for you.

Good luck!

5. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Where in Oregon are you going to be showing? I used to live over in that neighborhood (SW Washington) and I know of places that regularly have schooling shows.

6. tucklove

tucklove Senior Member

oregondressage.com They have chapters all over the state and contacts for people who could help you find stuff near you.

7. JKetsche

JKetsche Senior Member

I am assuming from the replies that you are a dressage rider. However, it's not clear where you are. If you are in Eugene, I could probably point you toward some folks.

ODS (Oregon Dressage Society) and Flying Changes magazine would be good starting points. FC has trainer listings and other resources that might help you find and fall in with the right people. Go to a show and watch and volunteer. Talk to people.

Keep us posted and let us know how else we can help.