Looking for brilliant solutions for my show clothing issue...

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by Equestrian Miss, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Equestrian Miss

Equestrian Miss Senior Member

Catchy title, eh?
    I have my last show of the IHSA season of my last year of college on Saturday, and I have the dumbest goal: I want to wear my own chaps. I bought a pair of beautiful, fringy suede chaps from a very nice lady on Facebook who assured me they would definitely fit! Lo and behold, my upper thigh is just a bit toooo....squishy...and fitting squish inside a non-stretchy suede chap is not the most fun thing to do. (Let's face it, it's impossible.)
    They fit great in the waist, but I just need some room in the thigh. I have tried the zip in extenders, but the zippers weren't compatible with my chaps.
    I have been borrowing a pair of chaps from a sweet girl on my team, but they broke when she was bucked off at a show, and so we have to fashion them together with hair ties to keep them on long enough for me to ride.
    So basically, I'm asking the crafty, the brilliant, the enduring Horse Show People to help me hack these chaps so I can go in the show ring one last time this season and smash that horsemanship pattern in my fancy pantsy chaps.

Thank you in advance!

2. spec

spec Full Member

Buy some yards of elastic fabric and super glue to the chaps... then put them on like pants?
    I feel like it could work.
    Anyway good luck!

Equestrian Miss likes this.
  3. Equestrian Miss

That's not actually a bad idea...maybe I can separate the chap from the zipper and add an elastic insert...hmmm....

SaddleUp158 likes this.
  4. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I would send them somewhere and have them altered.

froglander and Rhythm 'n Blues like this.
  5. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

Short of having them professionally altered, I think that would probably work! You might take them to a tack maker to have them do the sewing if you aren't confident though.

6. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Well, it is now past next Saturday last month. What did you end up doing?

7. Equestrian Miss

I ended up borrowing chaps, I just didn't feel comfortable trying to do major surgery on them!

LoveTrail likes this.