Long term effects of Bute

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by lacy, Nov 18, 2008.

1. lacy

lacy Senior Member+

My sons 28 year old Shetland pony has been on a 1/2 gram of Bute every other day since the vet came out and evaluated him May.

She said to put him on it for old age and flat and tender feet. He does have shoes on the front that is greatly helping him and is on FluidFlex every day which is a joint supplement.

But- I have heard that prolonged use of bute does bring about some problems... can someone refresh my brain? :D

2. PikPablo

PikPablo Senior Member+

Stomach ulcers can develop if bute is given all the time.

3. ejforrest

ejforrest Senior Member+

"Most common side effects of Bute toxicity are oral ulcers(open sores or lesions in the mouth) and right dorsal colitis(a life threatening, ulcerative inflammatory condition of the colon). Bute toxicity can also cause ulcers or hemorrhages in the esophagus and gastrointestinal tract, diarrhea, low white blood cell cound, anemia, and intestinal, kindney, and liver disease. The kidney effects are usually clinically silent, unless you look for it with an ultrasound. With high doses of Bute in really dehydrated horses, you can see outright kidney failure."

"Side effects of Bute toxicity can show up as early as a couple of days after starting therapy, or signs might not become apparent for several days to several weeks. The onset of signs may be slow, then a sudden onset of diarrhea, weight loss, colic may occur. Other clinical signs include inappetence, lethargy, and fluid swelling on the underside of the abdomen. Side effects may be long lasting. Proably the most common long term side effect is chronic colic do to chronic colonic ulcerations, intestinal scaring, or adhesions."

"Bute is more toxic than other NSAIDs because it stays in the blood after administration."

"Considere other pain relievers. The other NSAIDs are all less toxic then Bute. Banamin, ketoprofen, and vedoprofen all stay in the bloodstream a much shorter time then Bute. They all accumulate at sites of inflammation, giving you effective therapy for 24 hours for musculoskeletal pains. Because there is less drug in the blood, there is less drug affecting the kidneys and GI tract."

Bute is used more because it is cheapier than the rest of the NSAIDs
    Ask your vet for another pain reliever.

4. sorrell

sorrell Senior Member+

My older horse does well on a combo of yucca, glucosamine, chondoitin and MSM or methionine. Neither of my horses will touch bute tabs, no matter how well disguised and if they do eat them one day, they will go off their feed the next.

5. lacy

lacy Senior Member+

thank you guys- anyone else?

6. tbtrainer

tbtrainer Senior Member+

7. mtymouse

mtymouse Full Member

I had a mini on bute for awhile and was told to give ulcerguard also.
    Then I was told about this product.
    www.coxvetlab.com
    [​IMG]

8. IIIBarsV

IIIBarsV Senior Member+

Well, flat feet can be helped with correct trimming and not over-trimming the sole, or taking the bars below the level of the sole. If he's still tender with the shoes on then either the shoe job wasn't that great, or he's got more problems than just thin soles. Bute can be damaging even in very low doses. Shoes can also increase the concussion, and that goes straight to the arthritic joints. I would opt for boots, or leather pads between the shoe and his hoof (leather pad also acts as sole protection).

If I have an older horse or pony with joint soreness, I usually go for a mix like sorrell recommended. If they're stalled, we keep the stall rubber-matted and thickly bedded.

9. Maisie

Maisie Senior Member+

At our local Horse Rescue an elderly pony was permanently on Bute for similar problems to yours ... over time they had to keep increasing the dose to control her pain, until finally she was still in pain & her kidneys couldn't cope any more, so she was euthanised. Personally I would go with the advice to find a kinder alternative to bute.
    One small tip you might be interested in ... this pony's feet were bandaged with polystyrene sole pads cut to size (the kind you would find as packing around new electrical appliances) & this gave her great relief for several months.
    It's a cheap alternative to leather pads & boots if these are not available.
    P.S. Sorry I forgot to mention the pony did not have shoes on.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  10. lacy

lacy Senior Member+

Sorrell- can you tell me more about your combo?
    Where you get it, what amount