Long distance hauling

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by turnnburnlynx, Aug 8, 2017.

1. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

That sounds great @greenpaintpony , I can definitely get some electrolytes and give it to him. I'm realistically hoping to be home with in 2 days

greenpaintpony likes this.
  2. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Shavings. No shipping boots or wraps.

I wouldn't do electrolytes. Apparently the tube electrolytes can cause stomach irritation. (I recently developed an interest in electrolytes and have been doing a lot of reading.)

I would expect him to get a little sucked up, but IME they come out of it quick. I wouldn't soak hay unless he's not drinking.

manesntails likes this.
  3. greenpaintpony

greenpaintpony Senior Member

Ooh, interesting! Would love to hear more about what you've found about electrolytes! Feel free to pm if you don't want to derail this thread. We started electrolytes with a mare I had who'd quit drinking when she was even minorly stressed. Figured anything that might help was good for a cross country trip! We soaked hay as well.

4. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I just took a mare 15 hours to Texas, offered water (from home) at halfway, and she turned her nose up at it. Sure enough, when we unloaded her, she was tucked up, and went straight for the water bucket in her stall.

Are you using a hauling company or making the drive yourself?

5. slc

slc Senior Member

Don't put electrolytes in water. If you must, hang up a plain bucket of water too.

Yeah that's the latest thing: electroylytes cause ulcers...

6. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

I had a taste sensitive Gelding . Wouldn't drink water anywhere but home.
    Introduced him to Gatorade at home and he loved drinking his water whenever we were on the road showing.
    Powdered Gatorade lemon flavor from Costco.Just added enough to cover the " foreign" tasting water.
    Congratulations to your new horse.

7. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Now, I never took water from home, but sometime gave my horses people water from the gas stations. Yes, they will drink Smart Water, Fiji, etc. :D Winnie will drink from the first stop almost always unless it is a cool drive. Foxy doesn't until the second stop regardless the weather which is usually around eight hours later.

8. Puddincup

Puddincup Full Member

I would just offer water a couple times throughout the trip on your stops. If you leave a bucket out, you'll have no way of knowing how much he's actually been drinking since it could be sloshed all over the place.

tlwidener likes this.
  9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I would not wet the hay, it will get the floor wet and shavings will stick to it. Shavings are more absorbent than strawand less slippery.

Often times, they do not drink because they aren't exercising enough to get thirsty. Horses are not harmed by drinking just twice a day. This is what they do in nature: fill up at the watering hole in the morning, go off grazing all day, then back to the water to fill up for the night.

tlwidener, LoveTrail and Puddincup like this.
  10. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Electrolytes with a buffer are best.

Personally I would haul nekkid with shavings. Loose with the divider folded down. Pony will find his comfort zone. Stop every couple hours to checkand if hauling more than 8 I would stop for several hours for him to eat and drink.

There are a lot of drinking tricks. I love handful of rice bran in a bucket of water. They drink the whole thing. Watermelon is great. Rein water, whinny water, stuff like that. I would not give electrolytes unless he is sweating profusely. Electrolytes should not be given to make a horse drink. They need to drink first.