LMF vs. Purina

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by BriLeigh, Jan 16, 2008.

1. BriLeigh

BriLeigh Senior Member

Okay so I am now feeding LMF's ration balancer to my mare. My feed store also carries Purina so my question is which one would you feed? Do you prefer one over the other? I am looking for the best choice for my horse.

2. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

I'm not sure of the specifics of LMF's ration balancer (super supplement I believe). Purina's comparable ration balaner is Born to Win. I'd need to see all the info about each before really making a judgement between the two. I know of several people who have fed both with great results, but one might be far superior to the other (or they might be very similar).

3. AllAroundRdr

AllAroundRdr Senior Member+

I used to feed LMF -- the trainer I worked for, showed with, and that my horses were in training with is sponsored by LMF Feeds. I liked it better than Purina. Less grains/fillers, lower NSC levels, less molasas, in my opinion better ingredient list, and so on -- I still didn't like the presence of corn.

4. BriLeigh

BriLeigh Senior Member

Ok well thanks for the info so far. I would love to hear some others opinions.

5. imacowgirl2

imacowgirl2 Senior Member+

If you could get us the ingredient list, guaranteed analysis, and feeding directions of both, it would be great, and allow us to help you much more in depth.

However, going just off the reputation of the two different companies, and what I know of their other feeds, I'd probably go with LMF before Purina -- but we really need those three things before we can really tell you anything about them.

Edit: I just saw the other post that mentioned LMF has corn in it...in that case, I'd probably go with Purina instead, all things being equal. However, we are still pretty much guessing until we get more info.

6. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

It seems like the majority of the LMF products that I've looked at have corn in them, but I do believe that they are fixed formula.

But talking about just the two ration balancers is different from discussing the companies as a whole as well.

7. imacowgirl2

8. imacowgirl2

I also emailed Purina for the BtW info...

9. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

The btw info should be on their website. Probably quicker than waiting for them to get back to you.

10. AllAroundRdr

AllAroundRdr Senior Member+

I emailed LMF, and BTW I can grab the ingredient list this evening -- I have to run and grab TC 30% so I'll jot the BTW down when I'm there...I highly doubt they have the LMF, but if they do I'll grab a tail tag off of it ;)