Life in a Slaughter Town: Kaufman, Texas.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Jul 15, 2017.

1. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Yep...I guess it's better to let one starve to death right before your eyes....a SLOW and HORRIBLE death, than a bolt to the forehead which is immediate.

2. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

I can't view the pictures. However I am very much still pro slaughter. Would I eat my own horses? Heck no... not if I can help it. And I'd prefer not eat someones pet, but I would eat a horse. The beef we ate as kids was raised on my Grandpa's farm. The calves that suckled my fingers later ended up on my plate. Cattle are livestock, as are horses.

I'm not worried about Bute. Everything these days causes cancer. I've stuck myself with a needle vaccinating cattle, I've been splashed with ivermec, I've put the wrong end of the tube in my mouth when deworming horses and I've inhaled Bute when mixing it into feed. I'm still alive and well. Regulations are a good thing. But I don't think the drugs given to horses taints them as much as people worry about.

My main concern though, is the huge overpopulation of horses. They've gotta go somewhere and there aren't nearly enough homes out there. I'd rather a quick end with a bolt gun then have them starve to death. Every animal deserves as painless an end as possible, whether it's the cherished pet who is put to sleep by a vet, the cow I eat for dinner, or a horse in a slaughterhouse. Seeing a skinny horse in pain saddens me more than a horse headed for slaughter.

3. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

^ great post! People like to complain about slaughter, but then those same people have no concrete solution to the "problem".

Personally, I could never eat horse. I get my beef from two local farmers so I know where it comes from.

4. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

No thanks. I'd rather not have the government all up my butt telling what I can and cant give my animals. This country has already provend that it's clueless about where it gets its food and how awesome our politicians are at playing Dr. I don't know what the answer is but I certainly don't think that having to have a prescription for what's currently OTC or allowing Big Brother in my barn is the answer.

5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

I couldn't eat horse, and i don't like horse slaughter, BUT what other option is there? I'd far rather a horse be slaughtered than starve to death. Or live a half of a life in a crowded holding pen somewhere because there is nowhere for it to go.

How many dogs and cats are euthanized every day because there are no homes for them? How many more live years in a kennel in a no kill shelter because there is no home for them? How is that life better than death?

There are more horses than there are home for them. How many hundreds of horses does the BLM have in holding various places? What kind of life is that? And how many more mustangs are born every year? How many are taken on the range to control numbers yet never adopted? And that's just the feral horse population. That's not even touching the domestic horse situation.

"Stop breeding!" Ok... first of all, that's never going to happen. Nor should it. Not completely anyway. But even if that could or did happen, that still doesn't give the current surplus somewhere to go.

Sometimes death isn't the worse that can happen. Animals don't fret about it or think about it or worry about it the way that we do. But they do get stressed about being hungry or sick or crowded. They do get depressed and stressed being kept in less than ideal situations. Why not legalize an end to their suffering?

6. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Because apparently as with guns, a loud, obnoxious minority does a lot of lobby work?

You know, the surplus, half feral dogs would run in their neighbourhood, the surplus horses are not crowding their garden patches and streets.

manesntails likes this.
  7. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I don't see anyone advocating that either.
    People do advocate for more education and resources available to current horse owners, responsible rehoming when a horse is good enough to rehome and if not, pts on the farm property.
    Of course, none of that is a permanent solution, which is what at least the anti slaughter crowd I see on Facebook is well aware of.
    And animal slaughter of any kind is currently not very humane, unfortunately. The regulations do not seem to be well enforced, the people not well trained. Sure, one bolt to the head is a humane death. But being blinded, shocked, and then shot multiple times in the head is not.

I don't know about Bute. It doesn't seem like ANYONE knows much about Bute. There have been very few studies, and the few I could chase down were disappointingly vague.
    It seems indicated in increased rates of cancer, and more worryingly, fatal seizures in dogs.
    On the other hand, ivermectin and antibiotics DO have a fair amount of research behind them, and ARE dangerous. Ivermectin is extremely toxic to some dog breeds, antibiotic residue in food is contributing to the new resistant strains of bacteria.
    Just because you, personally haven't died from handling these medicines doesn't mean they aren't dangerous in the food supply.

That famous anti morning sickness pill that made the rounds in the fifties only caused birth defects in about 50% of the babies exposed to it. I guess since the other 50% were fine they shouldn't have cared.

Overall, I have no problem with horse slaughter, but it MUST comply with environmental regulations, treat the animals and workers humanely, and figure out how to protect pets and people from contaminated meat.

8. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

I'm all for slaughter.
    Always have been.
    I've even eaten horse, it's pretty good.

I'd always much rather see "overflow" be euthenized rather than sit and starve.
    Death is ugly, but fast deaths are LESS ugly.

9. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

I agree with Dona Worry, I know there needs to be slaughter, but the inhumane, perverse and unholy things that they do to them before they die is unspeakable.

I could not/would not read the article. I hope there is a special hell for those kinds of people. These are animals that certainly have the ability to feel terror and pain, as most horse owners are well aware.

10. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

The farther people get from their food the more places like this will flourish.

The government could do a better job regulating but will they? The answer as always is how much $$ is in it for the guy that rubber stamps the permits. If it is more lucrative to turn a blind eye than it is to shut down a plant with violations than 9of10 that is what will happen.

If you think this is limited to the slaughter industry I've got some ocean front property for sale in AZ...all of the ag industry is touched by this.

Dona Worry and Friesiangirl like this.