Life in a Slaughter Town: Kaufman, Texas.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I thought this made an interesting read. I am pretty neutral on the topic of horse slaughter, but I find the mental image on blood coming up into my bathtub and a rather disturbing one.
    If this is really the best we can do, perhaps we should not legalize horse slaughter again.
    Link to the original article, which also contains a slide show:
    Texas Mayor Paula Bacon Kicks Some Horse Slaughter Tail
    {removed copyrighted materials...view via the link - moderator}

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2017
  2. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

That's horrible. It sounds like half the problems were due to slaughter and the other half due to a company using it's money and influence to operate above the law, not meeting disposal requirements and not paying fines or taxes.

3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

If you look in the photo gallery, there are photos of blinded horses. Apparently, to stop them fighting.
    It was a bit shocking to see. . . I had always read that slaughter in the US is a better option because it was regulated. Is that what better regulation looks like?
    Then what the heck is it like in Canada and Mexico?

4. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member

If you have the stomach for it, Animal Angels has a few videos about horse slaughter in Mexico (where it is as horrendous as you would think) and Canada, one video shows a horse being hit multiple times with the stun gun as the operator kept missing the horse as it flailed about. I have seen a lot and that video was gut wrenching.

Yes, I am 100% against horse slaughter and it goes beyond the typical humane concerns of the horses to the major concerns of tainted horse meat hitting unsuspecting buyers. Horses are not raised as food animals here in the US and thus are given multiple medications that are banned in foot producing animals. Bute being the biggest one as that drug is a lifetime ban , even one time is enough to ban that particular animal from anything food producing. Heck, even zoos are getting wise to the fact that their tigers in particular, are dying from cancer at an alarming rate. Many zoos are shunning horse meat for the large cats/predators due to the cancer concerns. The EU is cracking down, slowly but surely, and soon it looks like the rules the EU are currently pushing.

The 6 months in a holding pen is enough to put many horse slaughter plants out of business as none want to feed horses for 6 months let alone feed them in the winter time. The EU most likely will halt horse meat coming from North America in the next 2-3 years or so with the complete lack of food chain control that permeates the North American horse population. Nobody uses a "passport" system that the EU has mandated, the reams of falsified paperwork on horses (including several TBs that raced on bute yet their paperwork said "certified bute free", one coggins that was altered for 15 different horses, and falsified affidavits on medications is not just well documented, but has become one of the major talking points in the EU on food safety.

Do we have a serious overpopulation of horses? Absolutely, and while breedings are down across the registries, there is still an incredible amount of horses just being bred without much of a market for them. We need to work together to come up with answers to some very difficult questions from how much should you breed (less horses on the market means higher prices for horses), who should breed, and making euthanasia a viable option.

TheSnowLeopard, Dona Worry and Ziast like this.
  5. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

The article would not load for me. Think its my signal.
    Anywho, I am also against it for medical and regulatory reasons. Humans suck is the bottom line. We lie, cheat and work the system even if it's in place to protect others and ourselves.
    Horses in the USA get loads of meds that make them practically poison for people and other animals to eat. For God's sake it's on the label for dewormer even.
    If you want horse meat then raise it like cattle. If people can turn a profit from raising beef then it's entirely possible to do the same for horses.
    Second we for some reason can not treat livestock (a lot of time pets too) humanely when it comes to transport and processing. It's not that hard to respect a living breathing creature but the industry actively tried to avoid it for some reason.

Once those problems are out of the way fine, have at your horse steak. Till then no, I am not going to be for it. Prove y'all can humanely handle cattle, chickens, ducks etc then we will talk about expanding to horses.

D_BaldStockings likes this.
  6. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

In Europe every horse has to have an equine passport where the vet has to note all medications. (has to match the microchip)

Only horses with a clean pass can get into meat production. Is that totally safe? No, but reasonably safe so that sport horses with failed treatment attempts can not easily get into the meat production.

With all those surplus mustangs, unwanted feral horses, hoarder cases etc I doubt there is much of a problem with pharmaceutical substances. The problem is just ex sport horses.

7. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

That's only possible with smaller local slaughterhouses where the transport ways are reasonably short and the owner/manager feels personally responsible.

That would be better for the local economy, too.

Friesiangirl, ginster and Dona Worry like this.
  8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Really, if we want, as a country, to slaughter horses, then we need to outright ban all drugs we don't want in the food supply.
    Bute, from my understanding, is NEVER supposed to be given to horses that will enter the food chain.
    That means that mare that colicked once as a 2YO and got some bute can't go to auction now as a 13YO that has changed hands four times since then.
    That means no ex-race horses. How many OTSBs and OTTBs do you see in kill pens? A lot.
    I isn't JUST feral horses and thin nags pulled from hoarding situations that have never seen a vet in their life that go to slaughter. I don't know how you would keep track of that anyways.

Another alarming part of the horse slaughter industry is horse thievery. . . Thanks to Facebook, I get all the 'Have you seen my horse?' posts.
    Lots of nice family horses go missing from barns and fields. A few turn up later in livestock auctions or kill pens. A few never turn up at all.
    But lots seem to go missing in close proximity to the meat buyers.

I don't know what the best solution is, sadly. The whole system, not just for horses but everything, needs a complete overhaul. The plants need to up their game on sanitation, worker safety, pay scale, and training.
    Right now, the only people willing to work in slaughterhouses are illegal immigrants and people who can't find a job anywhere else. They are generally treated as if they are as disposable as the animals they slaughter, there is almost certainly a degree of illiteracy at play and probably a language barrier too.

The way horses are treated medically needs a total overhaul too. Bute needs a lot more research, if there is a safe withholding period it needs to be clearly defined and enforced, safe with the multitude of wormers and antibiotics that are commonplace in a horse barn.
    Horses need to be tagged and trackable. You should be able to go to an auction, point to a horse, find it's number, and be able to find AT THE VERY LEAST it's most recent owner with a minimum of trouble.
    ALL animals should be tested clean BEFORE entering the meat supply, not after, and any traces of medication found should be tracked back to the source and the owner fined and banned from sending anymore horses to slaughter.

But.
    If wishes were fishes.

I don't think there are any good options.

9. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Europe has a problem with horses hitting the meat market that shouldn't be. Race horses end up there all the time.

It does not matter if it's local or non local, if you deal in love animals you need to be ethical in how they are treated. No animal should suffer.

10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

The article is from 2012.
    There are no slaughter facilities there now, unfortunately. The PETA people who got the slaughter houses all closed down would rather the horses all starve in fields.