licking lips?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by ItsAThought, Jul 8, 2005.

1. ItsAThought

ItsAThought Senior Member+

I know when you round pen a horse and they lick their lips... thats a sign of subbmission. And I have heard that when training them- when they "get it" they like their lips. But if you are with your horse just hanging out and grooming or cuddling and the horse lick its lips... what exactly does that mean? I have a feeling its good and the horse is enjoying himself but I was wondering if anyone knew the exact reason. It always makes me feel good when a horse licks his lips and plays his tounge in his mouth... for soem reason it makes me feel like he enjoys the company :)

2. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

They are relaxing. They are listening, they are accepting their surroundings.

Horses don't "GET IT" when they lick their lips. because they STILL might not undestand your cues, but they are listening to you at least and learning. They are telling you...OK, I'm listening...now what was that you said??

ItsAThought likes this.
  3. 3WishesDun

3WishesDun Senior Member+

He is going to eat you? Just kidding- probably means different things to different horses, but it sounds as if your horse is calm, relaxed--enjoying your company----. Good Job!

April

4. westernarabians

westernarabians Senior Member+

Great thread I always wondered that as well, I knew it ment submission but when King did it when we were just hanging out I was confused lol

5. spyro1

spyro1 Senior Member+

I agree, I look at it as acceptance and comfort when Moose licks his lips while I am grooming him. Then his top lip starts going and I KNOW he is loving it:)

6. ItsAThought

Ohhhhhh Thanks for clearing that up! Amira does that a lot when I do ground work with her. Thats makes me feel good she's listening! :) It was so funny, I was grooming this one horse and everytime I was stroking him and brushing, he was licking his lips. The second I stoped he turned around and stared at me. I gave him one brush and his mouth started moving again :rofl: hehe, what a cute horsey!

7. BarebackJourney

BarebackJourney Senior Member+

Haha .. this is hilarious, because a few weeks ago I asked the same thing on a thread of mine! ;)

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/showthread.php?t=42156

Anyways, it's basically the horse is relaxed, comfortable with your presence and is basically having a good time. With interaction with other horses it is a sign of submission or relaxation.

8. ItsAThought

Oh, oops, I missed that thread! lol. More good info on that thread too! I'm glad Amira likes me enough to do this whenever I'm with her :D Aww, that makes me feel so warm inside! lol I'm such a nerd ;)

9. MelissaH

MelissaH Senior Member

My instructor always says they are saying "yeah, I get it. It's cool!"

10. Super Step

Super Step Senior Member

Liking is submissive, relaxed.

Chewing is thinking/processing thought.