Let's talk countertops!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by endurgirl, May 14, 2017.

1. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Ok...
    Soapstone
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Honed Granite (not shiny...I don't like shiny granite. :) )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AmyK, endurgirl, uncanny580 and 2 others like this.
  2. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Ask and you shall receive. :D
    These are not great pictures, but give an idea. I have the same counter tops in my kitchen and laundry room. These pics are from when the house was still being built so everything is dusty and dirty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In our bathrooms we have onyx and I love it. I don't know if that's really a material that people use in their kitchens, but why not? I'm sure it would work too?
    [​IMG]
    Thought I had better pics, but apparently not. The onyx is a dark grey color with sparkly flecks in it. Super pretty.

AmyK and endurgirl like this.
  3. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

Jim, I am drooling, your house is so nice! It could be on HGTV!

@NBChoice- onyx is a cool idea! We did redo out bathroom, we used a higher end laminate, it's a faux marble. I'll grab a pic soon for this thread... however I don't think I want laminate is the kitchen if/when I ever redo it... something more durable.

4. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Did you guys take a gander at Jim's kitchen range? I'm green with envy.

5. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

I may have ogled it a little too long for it to be considered appropriate. lol Mamma waaants

6. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

LOL. Expensive, but totally worth it if you truly like to cook and can fund the initial purchase. That's a Thermador. We had a DCS prior, but it developed a gas leak that would have been difficult to fix, so we replaced it two years ago with this unit. The Thermador is several times better in so many ways, including the star-shaped burners that give good coverage no matter what the size of the pan or pot, from very, very small to large. They are available in 30" wide, too, for folks who need to replace a typical home range/stove, but want to kick things up a notch. (36" and 60"is also available) These are gas ranges (either natural gas or propane) and can be had in dual-fuel where the oven is electric. I would have preferred that because electric oven is a bit better with consistent heating, but didn't have the power budget available with existing wiring and the crawl space under the kitchen requires a micro-midget to do anything useful.

bobo and horses likes this.
  7. loom

loom Senior Member

My new house will have granite counter tops in the kitchen. They are mostly black with some brown and gray streaks supposedly "go" with any decor. The bathrooms are cultured marble. I didn't get a choice on my counter tops. Later I'll probably have the kitchen counters replaced with quartz.