Let's talk countertops!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by endurgirl, May 14, 2017.

1. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

We have soapstone in the kitchen. When we put in the addition, the bathrooms and wet bar got 'honed' granite...which isn't shiny and looks really nice. Unfortunately, that's an expensive option.

Laminate can look decent if it's fabricated correctly and one of the better products is chosen. A little uplift of your budget can get you various types of solid surface, however, and it's both more durable/repairable and in essence, seamless once installed, unlike laminate.

slc likes this.
  2. secuono

secuono Senior Member

I have wood countertops that I made from wide wood shelves. Sanded, stained black and sealed a few times. Have pictures somewhere...

slc likes this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

They can be beautiful, I've seen some highly polished ones and even ones that were works of art with things like seashells embedded then covered with acrylic to protect it. But they do have the issue of cracking.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

That can work out beautifully.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

I have some red Texas slate with some blue and purple markings in it. It's beautiful. I've been thinking of using it on some of the countertops. I also have some black walnut that should be done drying in the fall. I think I'd like to use it on some of the 'dry' countertops.

6. Shmee

Shmee Senior Member

Is there a Habitat for Humanity Restore anywhere near you? Sometimes you can find countertops at them, and their prices are lower.

CJ likes this.
  7. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

When we remodeled, We wanted concrete, but there weren't any available in our area, so we went with quartz. Love it. Sturdier than granite, doesn't need much care, and the colors were fantastic. Up to that point, we had laminate, which did serve us well. And the new stuff looks so much better than the stuff that was about 30 or so years old.

8. CJ

CJ Senior Member

I also had @10 ft of counter and not a lot of $ top top it with. Formica has a reasonable reputation.
    I kept an eye on the HD/ Lowes selections. 'What color' was actually decided by spotting a long cornered piece on sale because it had fallen out of the rack and chipped/ cracked an end. Instead of $100 it was much fewer double digits, and for that I pretty quickly decided I could live with Ubatuba green (misspelled ubaduba lol). And to cut the point off, and the microwave hides any hint that the backsplash joint was compromised and reglued. I think the Formica colors been discontinued, but 10 years later its still holding up fine.
    [​IMG] Apparently its based on an actual granite color and still available that way, stone or Corian.

9. AmyK

AmyK Senior Member

I feel like every responder to this thread should be required to add pics, one of my guilty pleasures is looking at ideas for the kitchen reno I can't afford...

endurgirl and equinitis like this.
  10. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

My boss poured his own concrete counters and they came out very nice.

I have granite which is more expensive upfront but is extremely durable and I think if you are going to be in the house long term it might be a good long term investment.....I put hot pans right on it. You might get luck and find one on EBAY or Craigs list.