Lets see your treeless saddles!

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by foureyed_dragon, Sep 14, 2011.

1. foureyed_dragon

foureyed_dragon Senior Member+

Looking at them in stock photos is all fine and good, but I want to see what they look like in "real life!"

So lets see pictures of your treeless saddes! :D:D

2. Jess!

Jess! Senior Member+

Barefoot Treeless. Best saddle ever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ummm...can you tell my horse is a hoover? :D

3 people like this.
  3. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member+

Will post pics of my sisters' Black Forest Town & Country Echo treeless saddle soon :)

4. IndraAmber

IndraAmber Senior Member+

This is my personal Sensation dressage trail on my arab.

[​IMG]

And on an Icelandic.
    [​IMG]

The other sensation dressage I used to ride in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. foureyed_dragon

Yes please! Especially since I think I have made up my mind that thats the one I want.

Jess - what type of padding are you using? And you look like you ride in pretty hilly country, do you still feel secure going up and down steep hills? We live in a super hilly area and trail riding is literally over the river and through the woods here.

6. foureyed_dragon

In some of these pictures it looks like you are just using a plain pad too? Or is your treeless pad under the english pad?

7. Fancy That

Fancy That Senior Member+

Regarding the pad you'll need.

A couple of things to note. If you are small and lightweight, (like IndraAmber), you don't NEED a super heavy duty treeless pad with massively built up support, panels and such. ESPECIALLY if used on a horse with a flat, round, wide low -withered build.

For example, my Morgan mare, doesn't need too much special "support" w/ a treeless (I've used my sisters' on her) because she is the shape of a Propane Tank, and I don't weigh that much. So there isn't funky pressure coming down on her spine/withers, etc.

You will need something more heavy duty, the more you weigh, or the more your horse has a prominent SPINE, prominent WITHERS or a scoopy back.

EDIT TO ADD: Also key is the treeless saddle is built with a CHANNEL already. The good quality ones have a channel for spine-free built in. You still need a pad to help keep the channel, but if you have a treeless that is built this way, it goes a long way

8. Jess!

Jess! Senior Member+

In those pictures I was using a Toklat Woolback pad, but I usually use a Skito pad, it has inserts and a spinal clearance. I never had issues using the woolback pad, and I know a lot of people that use them under their treeless. The black pad is a dixie midnight.

I feel very secure going up and down my hills [and I have some crazy, gnarly hills up here...the bigger and steeper the better in my opinion! :D], but I do use a breast collar and crupper. I've ridden plenty of times without them, but since I'm usually going at a good speed, I like the extra security, especially when Vogue spins like she does.

I would never go back to a treed saddle for endurance, ever. This frees up their shoulders, not to mention it fits well. Stick a seat saver on it and it's like riding on a couch...amazingly soft and comfy.

9. IndraAmber

IndraAmber Senior Member+

I have a channel half pad pad under the normal saddle pad, though sensations do have a built in channel unlike quite a few treeless saddle. It's still recommended to use some sort of treeless pad, or half pad.

Edited to add.

The sensations I have found to be almost as secure on the horses back as normal treed saddles, I have no issue mounting from the ground on my arab or other normal horses. I find it does slip a bit on Icelandics since they are so round and have such little withers, but if you mount with the left hand in the mane with your reins, and your right hand just below the pommel on the right side of the horse, even the most round Icelandic I can get on without slippage.

10. angie j

angie j Senior Member+

Sensation English Trail

On a stalky TWH

[​IMG]

On a slight Saddlebred

[​IMG]