Let's Diagnose My Shoulder Pain!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by StarPattern, Jan 10, 2018.

1. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

So you are able to flex the shoulder but have trouble abducting - that alone would steer me aware from biceps, and think more in the direction of supraspinatus (1 rotator cuff muscle), or more likely, C5 nerve radiculopathy. Again, this is all speculation without seeing you in person, but can hopefully give you some things to go on to advocate for a diagnosis and treatment plan.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I still would suggest Physiatrist and PT (for your neck)

3. Shmee

Shmee Senior Member

None of my PTs over the years has used this term, but it sounds like what my issue might be. In my case, the issue is entirely postural. There are no spinal defects, tears, pinched nerves, etc. The pain can get pretty bad. Fortunately the PT was able to give me a stretch and a couple of quick exercises I can do on my own whenever it starts to flare up.

I agree with everyone who suggested finding a different PT. Approach, exercises they use, familiarity with specific conditions, etc. varies a lot.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

There is no point in having physical therapy until the origin of the pain is clear. No PT knows what therapy to apply until s/he knows what's going on. If the pain is from X, then you want to do Y but not Z. If the pain is from A, then you want to do B but not C.

No PT can make rational decisions about what will improve the situation til the cause of the pain is known.

5. DocsLglyBlonde

Lolololol if only you knew how many referrals read "treat R shoulder pain." We are autonomous practitioners who can make a PT diagnosis and treat without referral in most instances. There is often no need for imaging or MD diagnosis in order for us to make a PT diagnosis, treat, and get a successful outcome for the patient.

HayleyS, endurgirl, mooselady and 2 others like this.
  6. slc

slc Senior Member

I have immense respect for your knowledge and skill and experience, but in this case since she has pain that could very well be coming from a impinged cervical nerves, I think that's not a prudent path.

DocsLglyBlonde likes this.
  7. DocsLglyBlonde

We (I am still a student, but have worked clinically with a full caseload, so by "we" I'm referring to myself but moreso much more experienced practitioners) deal with cervical radiculopathy all the time. Unless there is profound weakness that is worsening, we treat. If I did an eval and found someone with pretty profound weakness related to a suspected disc herniation, then I'd refer for an MRI. Pain, limited ROM, impaired function, some weakness and altered sensation, I'd begin treatment and look for improvement. If the patient does not start to improve within a reasonable amount of time, then you'd refer. Especially considering the OP cannot get an MRI for months, PT can be helping in the meantime. I'd specifically look for someone very skilled in manual therapy.

endurgirl likes this.
  8. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

Hey all.. I have been to PT. I went for three weeks, noticed minimal change the first appointment (could move my arms versus not moving them) and continued going for three weeks in hopes the pain would further dissipate. After three weeks of three appointments a week and exercises, there was no further improvement in pain. In fact, by the third week... I was actually worse than the second week, pain wise. I couldn’t afford $50-60/visit for the unforeseeable future without some improvement. That’s why I’m continuing to explore options, get X-rays and whatnot. I don’t have benefits so I pay for all my treatments out of pocket and at this point... I can’t justify spending that kind of money for things that aren’t helping at all. If it turns out that there is no other option than to continue PT and hope that it helps, then I guess I’ll spend the money... but for now, I need to find an actual root of the issue before I feel comfortable continuing to pay those costs.

slc likes this.
  9. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

Update to this: Still waiting on my ultrasound (got bumped up a week) and waiting for the secondary blood work to come back. As a last ditch effort to give me some relief, I bought something called Advil Arthritis which is apparently meant for muscle inflammation. My original blood tests came back negative for arthritis, but whatever... I was desperate.

The bottle says to take 1 pill every 6-8 hours. Reviews on the internet said users had the best luck taking two as a first dose, but that kind of scares me. So I took 1 pill first and then a second 4 hours later just before bed. Since Friday, I've been taking one pill in the morning when I wake up, one midway through the afternoon and one just before bed. My hope was that it would take the edge off the pain and allow me to function normally until we could figure out what was going on.

I guess my body responds better to this particular medication than it does to "normal" advil, aspirin, ibuprofen, etc etc, because the pain is more than manageable now. I actually got a full night's sleep last night.

Jury is still out if that's due to my fiance finally coming home or the pills, but I'll take it!

ginster and mooselady like this.
  10. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

What is the medicine and milligram of the advil arthritis?