Let me see your THOROUGHBREDS!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Oklassic, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Oklassic

Oklassic Senior Member

Recently got a 2 year old thoroughbred rescue. I just adore her, I thought I might have my hands full training a TB but she is honestly the sweetest little horse. she's single-handedly made me into a bit of a thoroughbred enthusiast!

Here is my little girl, still not in the best shape but we have come so far in just 2 weeks!
    [​IMG]

I want to see:

1. a picture of your thoroughbred
    2. what you use them for (discipline)
    3. what you love about your horse/ the breed.
    4. whatever else you want to add.

I'm excited to see some!

2 people like this.

2. Martini!

Martini! Senior Member+

If I had to pick a favorite breed it would definitely be TB's. I'm not currently riding one, but many, many of my favorite horses in the past have been TB! They tend to be my type of ride. I love how willing they are. Here are a couple pics, both from years and years ago when I was a kid and from more recently! I think you can tell which pictures were from a million years ago, both the camera and the riding has improved, lol!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. Horsez

Horsez Senior Member+

Here's Monty, we do jumpers!
    This was at our last show we did. :)

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  4. MIEventer

MIEventer Senior Member+

Congrats on your new TB, look forward to seeing more of and hearing about your adventures together.

This is Nelson, he is 22, soon to be 23 on the 23rd of April. He was bought off the track at a young age, loaded into a large trailer with a bunch of other TB's that were purchased and hauled to Michigan where he was trained and worked with to be a Hunter/Jumper. He was bought by an A Circuit Trainer, and used as a lesson horse for a few years where everyone under the sun rode and competed him, until one of his Students bought him. Then later on in his years, he was bought by a DQ and went 3rd level with her, and then sold to an Eventer. He went Prelim with her, and then I got my hands on him, and he has been with me for the last 5 years.

We are Eventers, compete at Novice level and school at Training Level. Even though he has gone Prelim in his younger days, I wont ask him to go any higher than Novice. While he can do 3'3" easily, I wont ask him to do it competitively.

*sigh* I really need to get new pics of us......seriously........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I love about him - I love his spirit and his spunk. Even though he is in his Senior Years, he acts like he is fresh off the track at times. I love his "Go Get Em" attitude, his "Let me show you how to do it right" personality when he is at a comp and the nick name he has is the "Energizer Bunny" because he just goes, and goes and goes.

I love how he locks into a fence, and takes it on full force, whether it is a 2'0" xrail, or a 3'3" Oxer. I love how he loves to gallop when we are out in a large open field...I swear I can hear the Geico Pig wee'ing in his head while we're doing this.

This horse, just holds the soul and spirit of what I want in a horse, a competitive mount, and partner. I remember doing an xc clinic with a 3* Eventer, and without knowing his age, she told me that he has the perfect "Pop and Spark" that ULR's look for in mounts. When I told her his age, she was totally shocked, and said that he could of easily taken a rider to Rolex and back.

THAT is what I love about my horse.....among many other things.

11 people like this.
  5. Babeesgirl

Babeesgirl Senior Member

This is Max 8 year old Thoroughbred Gelding :)

We do Hunter/Jumper together I have started Dressage with him. And we do X-country and eventing
    [​IMG]

What I love about him is his silly puppy dog personality

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I mean just look at him how sweet is that face? He can un-tie himself from the place were I keep him to saddle up and he can also open the gate now

3 people like this.
  6. Meghan_Loomis

Meghan_Loomis Senior Member+

This is Loomis :) he was 21 in these pics. They're from a year ago :) the last real good pics i have of him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He passed away on January 12, 2012. Miss you buddy.

4 people like this.
  7. magoo320mj

magoo320mj Senior Member+

This is Critter. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Technically he's hubby's horse, but I'm really the only one who pays attention to him anymore, so I declare him mine. ;) He was hubby's cowhorse for many years; he's packed kids all over kingdom-come and was my main mount back when hubby and I started dating, before I got my own horse. He's 23 this year; mostly retired due to health issues, though we go for short trail rides now and then. Every time I ride him, I can tell that he wants to do more - I think he gets frustrated by his bad knee and the fact that he can't run like the wind anymore. :(

The thing I love most about Critter is his gentle soul. He is absolutely one of the sweetest horses I've ever been around - if you're in the pasture, he's in your pocket. Every time I go out to catch Ben, Critter follows along and tries to stick his head in the halter. :( He loves people, and with kids, he's gentle as can be. But, if you're a rider who knows what you're doing, he knows it - and acts accordingly. He's never mean-tempered, but he's spirited, and kind of a prankster. He's bucked with me a few times, and even put me off once. (Though in my own defense, I was riding a roping saddle that was about 2 sizes too big, with stirrups that were about 2 notches too long. :no: Plus I'd ridden him the day before, and he was FINE! Not that day, though - we were moving cows, and we took off after some strays, jumping a ditch along the way - and as soon as he hit the other side of the ditch, DOWN that head went between his knees! I sat 3 or 4 good hops, and then off I went. Little s*cker... :flaming:) Even with the occasional bucking, he's a blast to ride! So smooth, and he'll really step out. In his younger days, he'd jump anything, and he'd outwalk any horse on the place.

As far as the breed itself goes, I LOVE TBs! For many reasons, their athletic grace and versitility being at the top of the list.

6 people like this.
  8. beverleyy

beverleyy Senior Member

This is Beverley! She is recently 6, we are coming up to our 1 year, can't believe it! I love her for so many reasons. I remember not even 2 weeks after I officially signed her papers my boyfriend wanted to ride her. He had never been on a horse before, but we said okay and he hopped on and walked her around all on his own, his 2nd ride he trotted her. I just remember thinking like "WOW! this horse is just 5, has only been under saddle for a month, and before that she just sat in a field ....wow!" I seriously doubt I would trust any other green 5 y/o to pack my boyfriend around lol! She is just so willing to do everything asked of her, she's not flighty or hot. She tries very hard to please and she really wants to be good. The first time she was jumped she just popped right over as if she'd been doing it forever. I've ridden her bareback and double bareback, she acts like it's the most natural thing to have 2 people minus the saddle on her back. Of course she's got her "moments", but what horse doesn't? She's hardly 6, she tries her heart out and takes nearly everything as if she's been doing it her whole life ...there's not much more I could ask for!

Oh! and I plan on starting her in the hunters this season to at least get our show career going and after that we'll just see where things take us!

sorry the pictures are such horrible quality, they were taken as screen caps off my phone =S

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  9. MyFairLady

MyFairLady Full Member

Subbing! Love thoroughbreds!!

10. canadiancharlie

canadiancharlie Senior Member+

Well I don't own one, but I do work with them :)
    This is M.
    She's still fairly green, but we're hoping she'll make someone a nice hunter (*cough FOR SALE!!!*), jumper or low level eventer.

She is super adorable and one of the bravest little mares I've known. I mean I can ride her (third or fourth ride?) infront of a bobcat in an open arena, she eats grass off the lawn mower while it's running, she is fine during any sort of hail, rain, snow storm with STUPID wind gusts in the indoor arena, birds and critters flying out while out hacking don't phase her and she's the type of mare to take new things with an 'I GOT THIS!' attitude.

She is not the (what I thought at least) stereotypical TB would be, flighty and OMG-ing all the time.
    Until I met her I had never met a TB I liked, let alone WANTED to ride :p Didn't really like them. Never wanted to ride them and definatley wouldn't want one of my own! But I love her, I love her personality, and I (mostly :p) love riding her. only thing I don't like about her...is her color :p And even that is only because she manages to find EVERY muddy puddle, pee spot in her stall or patch of grass to roll in -_-
    *no critiques*
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.