1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

"Legit" adoption/rescue organizations in the midwest?

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by slc, Sep 3, 2016.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

There are so many threads about ''bad'' rescues. Which groups do you think are decent ones, and what criteria do you use to decide which rescues are good or bad?

thanks.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Horsemen don't run "Rescues". Horsemen buy horses, rehab them and sell them. So, since Rescues habitually are run by folks who barely know which end the feed goes in, good luck finding one that's really legit and on the up-and-up anywhere.

3. slc

slc Senior Member

Any one else want to offer their own cheerful perspective, LOL? And no, manes, I'm not suggesting you're wrong. In fact that's why I asked the question.

And if you don't know of any legit rescues, or don't think there are any, please suggest some other options.

Alsosusieq2 and manesntails like this.
  4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

This is basically what rescues do, with the added step of they typically keep the ones that can't be sold. Is it just the words you object to?
    There is one around here that is actually pretty good. They rarely buy horses however--most of their horses are owner surrendered, and I think some are fosters from the humane society?
    They will also work to provide information and resources to owners, and work with them to help correct fencing, feeding and care issues so the horses don't get into poor shape to begin with.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. TheSnowLeopard

TheSnowLeopard Senior Member

I would object to a rescue that BUYS horses and re-sells them. That is just a horse trader using government money and donations.

I'm ok with people who buy horses and re-sell them on their own dime without any help from the government or donations. That is what real horsemen and women do to help horses in need.

The only rescue I would be ok with would basically be a horse dump for ones who the owners can't afford to keep and can't find a home for. However, this rescue would have to manage its funds in a way that the adoption fee is very minimal and that they don't make anything off of rescuing. Unfortunately, such a place may only exist in my dreams.

VermilionStrife and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

To check if a rescue is legitimate, check on how current their filings are with the Federal and state governments, go take a look at the place to see if repairs are being made, the horses are being fed and in safe, clean quarters, and if there is plenty of hay for the number of horses for at least 30 days. If you see crowded conditions, muddy padlocks, skinny dirty horses, new vehicles and trailers, run the opposite direction as fast as you can.

The one equine rescue we support is Rainbow Meadows.....their horses are either owner surrenders or abuse cases from the authorities. Fee to adopt is what you can afford. They also have an application and check references. filings with the Feds and state are current and show how donated money is spent, and the locals all speak highly of their operation.

7. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Define "rescue." CANTER finds homes for OTTBs. They act as more of a clearinghouse than anything else. They take the horses, evaluate them, do some retraining and basically sell them. It's called an "adoption fee" but it's a sale more or less. They also run ads for horses being sold directly from the track.

Technically, they're a "rescue." They're a 501(3)(c). They serve a purpose - it's far easier for people looking for a TB to go through them because they know the horse has already been vetted and had some work. They're a good organization - I'm friends with one of the directors of the NorCal branch. New Vocations is similar.

Alsosusieq2, DelP and TheSnowLeopard like this.
  8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You edited this. I gave you a like for the very first sentence, right after you posted it.
    I made a suggestion in my post: Buy a horse from a Horseman. Voila' you have a rehabbed horse that, if you are wanting to garner sympathy for the horse and pats on the back for yourself (general you, not you in particular, slc) you can call it a 'rescue' or you can call it what it is: Your new horse.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. DelP

DelP Senior Member

New Vocations is very clear that they are not a rescue, but they do adopt out horses. They have their 501c3 as a racehorse adoption program not as a rescue. Having volunteered at their booth a few times I can let you know they make sure to correct anyone who calls them or their horses rescues. I think part of that passion is because saying the horse is a rescue means that there was something that the horse needed to be rescued from. I can only speak to the STB side of NV, but most of the horses are donated from owners want their horses to find good homes instead of trying to make one last buck off them at a cheap claimer or breaking them down.

I think that they are a fantastic adoption program. I've got friends who've both had their racehorses placed through the organization (STBs) and friends who have adopted through them (STBs & TBs). Both sides have been very happy.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

Thanks, Del. That's useful information. I myself probably won't get a race horse (thb or stb) from them as we need a smaller and younger(weanling or yearling) horse or pony. I've seen some small Standardbreds, just not lately.

It's interesting to find out how disillusioned some of us are about rescues. It sounds like the feeling is well justified.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.