Leather Therapy wash moldy tack

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by horsecrazy1982, Sep 27, 2011.

1. horsecrazy1982

horsecrazy1982 Senior Member

my tack all has mold on it at the barn i board at they are getting a dehumidifier for the tack room i brought all my tack home to clean have read about apple cider vinger to work i did wip it down with it but am thinking about getting some Leather Therapy wash for it to clean it all as it says it is for mold and then there is the Leather Therapy conditioner to but was wondring can i just use the wash and not the Leather Therapy conditioner ? as i have some very good leather conditioner that is very good it is passier leatherbalsam. or do i need both

2. rachelmolly1

rachelmolly1 Senior Member

You don't need both.
    For a long time I just used plain glycerine saddle soap for a cleaner, and then Effax leatherbalsam (that I LOVE)!
    Then I somehow lost both of those and got Belvoir tack cleaner and separate conditioner in the spray bottles. But then I got the Effax leatherbalsam in place of my Belvoir conditioner because the leatherbalsam really hits the spot when making the tack supple and soft. :)
    I use the belvoir products when I'm in a hurry and don't have time to spend on usng my Effax. But if I'm cleaning up for a show or PC rating, I use my effax leatherbalsam after my cleaner. :)

3. horsecrazy1982

horsecrazy1982 Senior Member

that is what i am hoping as the Leather Therapy wash is for mold to and all my tack is nice and soft and supple dose not relly need conditioner right now

4. AnnaCarner

AnnaCarner Registered

Hi, I'm new to this forum -- and, because I developed the Leather Therapy products, I can add the information you might need to make a decision regarding the questions you asked and the mold problem you're having on your tack.

Leather Therapy WASH deeply cleans leather -- it's really concentrated, and easily cleans away heavy grunge and mold. Even heavy grime on a steel bit is easy work for this surfactant formula. WASH helps with cleaning off mold, but please note that only Leather Therapy Restorer/Conditioner won Product of the Year in 1997 because of its ability to inhibit and rid leather of mold problems, while deeply conditioning - from the inside-out. This is a really big deal.

FYI, any product that claims to inhibit, kill, do away with (whatever the marketing terminology), etc. must verify their claims with the EPA. It took us over a year of testing to prove our case to the U.S. government. Leather Therapy Restorer/Conditioner is considered a "stand alone" product in the mold prevention and leather care category. We're really proud of that.

Keep in mind that, because your tack room is filled with ambient mold spores, you'll have to keep up a simple maintenance program with Restorer to keep this problem at bay. We live in Virginia and have felt the same wet, damp, stormy weather that you have in NC. Please also know that you'll need only a very small amount on a lightly dampened sponge to maintain your leather after the first good cleaning and conditioning with Leather Therapy.

Not trying to "toot" our horn -- although we worked really hard on these formulas -- just thought you might like the info. Glad to be here on your Forum. Anna

marabsky likes this.
  5. paval

paval Senior Member

Anna, have used your products! Love what they do!

6. Chow

Chow Senior Member+

Yes Leather therapy is good stuff! so is The Leder balsam and the Urad products.

My daughter just started Pony Club and so just a couple of days ago we went over their recommendations for tack cleaning.
    The book advises saddle soap to clean and then plain water on a wrung out sponge to rinse. Then some kind of leather conditioner followed by glycerin soap to "seal" the leather. Has anyone had experience with this process? Does it work well long term?

7. AnnaCarner

AnnaCarner Registered

More info on Saddle Soap:

The creation of saddle soap solved the problem of how to get vital conditioning oils into the tack of the military several hundred years ago. The knowledge that leather would become hard and uncomfortable certainly was of paramount concern to armies spending days on horses. It’s been told that “you could smell the army before you could see them” which leads one to believe that sanitary conditions were not helping saddle leather either.
    :eek2:

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The “carrier emulsion” of the day was soap. Skilled curriers, with a lot of elbow grease, forced lubricating fatliquors into hard leather using this soapy oil & water emulsion. Because the high alkalinity of soap was detrimental to leather (acidic with a low pH) it was always neutralized out of the finished product by the craftsman. That’s important to note because this vital fact was set aside in order to expedite the soapy conditioning concoction into a can of, yes, saddle soap. It is not great for leather however, because of its convenience, the negatives are still overlooked by the public. [/FONT]

Also, keep in mind that saddle soaps that smell so good, are not good choices for moldy leather. For starters, they contain glycerin. Glycerin acts as a "humectant" which means it tends to attract and hold atmospheric moisture. While that property may help the leather fibers remain flexible, it also sets your tack up for future mold and mildew growth.

8. AnnaCarner

AnnaCarner Registered

:) thanks. Sometimes when I'm in the barn and have a bunch of tack "to do" I grab for my products -- and before I rinse my sponge out I'll use the residual on my Ariat paddock boots. Keeps me happy knowing that they're not smoke and mirror products.:bow: