"Learn The Rules, Then Break Some"

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Breezah, May 19, 2017.

1. Breezah

Breezah Senior Member

Famous words by Clinton Anderson that have always stuck with me.

I'm curious as to what horsemanship/handling/riding rules you know and swear by, but also aren't afraid to break under the right circumstances.

I'm personally not above bribery if a horse refuses to be caught. I developed this mind state when I bought my Saddlebred mare, knowing she was a bag to catch before I purchased her, and spent a good 10 hours of attempting to train her to be a good girl when caught and ended up getting hurt multiple times. That's when I learned that sometimes, no matter how much you just want to do things the proper way, sometimes you need to deviate to keep yourself and your horse safe.

What about you guys? Surely, you've encountered a horse or two that won't follow a particular "rule" in your careers and you've had to adjust yourself at the expense of your ego.

2. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

What Clinton Anderson does, going brutal and using btv/learned helplessness?

If I do something unsuitable, at least afterwards I don't feel particularly good about it and I don't justifie it as right in "some circumstance".

savethewhaley likes this.
  3. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Oh boy. Here comes the high and mighty "I do everything right" speech.

Sam C. and Breezah like this.
  4. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

No, here comes the "when I do something wrong/unsuitable then I don't rationalize it as appropritate in circumstance xyz"

That's like "beating wives is bad, but under circumstances xyz it's still justified"

If something is an unsuitable training method then it's always unsuitable. And if it's generally suitable it's not breaking rules.

5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I think perhaps you are comparing apples and oranges. I am reading this as less hard and fast rules and more personal rules. I have never heard bribing as being a hard and fast no-- in fact, people here have encouraged me to do it. But for the OP, bribery was one of her 'rules' that she violated in order to stay sane.

Breezah and NBChoice like this.
  6. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

Well, the question was asked in innocence and curiosity:

I bend the rules all the time --- always have --- except for the first four or five which are no biting, kicking, or rearing; when I say "no", "no" is what I mean. No eating grass along the trail unless I either drop my reins and say ok, or I am standing beside the horse<------I am prison warden strict about that one --- pull the reins out of my hands for a bit of grass and the horse will rue the moment it did that.

The same principle and rules applied when I was raising my son, except the biting, kicking, and rearing was replaced by no stealing if you value your skin. Far as eating grass, son did a good job emptying the refrigerator:)

Bending the rules depends on the horse and that horse's intent. I have one who is a bank robber. Several days a week he stands at the path leading to the manure dump quietly eating grass as I pass by with a load of manure. On my return with an empty cart, his head comes up and he moves forward just enough to not get run over (in case I don't stop) but letting me know he wants paid for being so good ---- so I pay him three treats --- both my horses know what three means and when I face-Palm them, don't ask for more:)

Do I bend rules when riding? Yes I used to. I am a trail rider, I don't have to follow rules to the letter but I can't ride anymore so I'm not sure what rules I used to bend.

My remaining two horses are now in their early 20's. We do a lot of freedom work/play where there is no wrong answer --- it's all in what each horse can accomplish. It all pays off when I really do need them to do something or be well behaved.

7. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Im not above bribery. Theres something to be said for turning "Nope-not happening" into "ooh you have what?" to get something caught or done. Bonnie was a fear-evasive pony, Unless you had "brownie brittle",which she would follow people to get. Raps was cooperative, but the worlds biggest choco-holic.
    "Sweet feed is **** feed"... maybe, but its better than Nothing, and my horse ate his pellets better with a lil sweet spiked in, that was noticeable and consistent.
    Sweetfeed also virtually assured the guineas would scratch the manure apart and into the dirt :X3: :whistle: Lil tiny tillers (y)
    Shoes. They have their uses/ moments. But if the foot is sound and solid and there isnt so much rocky/ road work to necessitate them, Im all for riding, training and showing unshod. Especially after Raps picked up a ground charge thru front shoes, :eek2: on while a full-face toe crack grew out . Yep, if possible, barefoot way to go imo.
    A horse being english or western, pleasure or game, but not both or it'll be ruined or 'confused', poppy-hockey. Western training actually did Good things for mine's english frame and gaits.
    "Spurs are necessary" :no: Never owned a pair.
    I Love that my mentor said something like "Whips and spurs are the earmarks of an inept rider." I think she meant in excess, as the farm had crops, and she rode and trained upper level dressage.
    But its fun to watch the quote make dressage riders/ enthusiasts heads explode. :D

8. Breezah

Breezah Senior Member

Garfield, you are taking my post way out of context. Are you actively looking to stir the pot?

9. Breezah

Breezah Senior Member

This reminds me: I'm also not opposed to hand feeding treats. I've heard from several people (including individuals on this forum) that this is a big no-no in their books. But I make it very clear to my horses that once they've received a treat, they are not allowed to pester for me for more. So far, I haven't had a problem, but if I did I would simply not hand feed that particular horse.

Sam C. and gaitedboomer like this.
  10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Not horses, but a cow rule I break aaalalllllll the time is, well, all of them.
    Mostly, I am not afraid to duck under a cow belly if I need to, but that is a huge no no for everyone else.
    Will also use a cow as a sofa occasionally.
    Grab a leg to remove a hose that got tangled up (another huge no--everyone else has to remove the hose)
    Will get in front of a charging cow.
    Etc, etc.