Leafs journey to being a gentleman!

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by turnnburnlynx, Nov 29, 2018.

1. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

Many of you have been following my thread about leaf and maple, my rescue fjords.

Maple is a 7 year old fjord mare who, unfortunately, is 4-5 months pregnant, and because of that I decided it was time to wean leaf.

Leaf is a roughly 6 month old fjord percheron cross. With no handling.

I spent time with him every day, getting him use to being touched all over sans halter. A few days ago, I decided it was time to get the halter in him. He had, at this point, had the halter rubbed all up and down his face, and he was totally fine with it. Well, when I went to clip it, he decided to. Become upset, and turned his butt towards me, then ran away.

So, since he felt it was ok to turn his butt and threaten to kick, and run away, I grabbed my rope. I roped him, and was not prepared for him to be so freaking strong (that was my bad) so he was able to pull the rope out of my hands.

I sectioned off his shed, and ran him in there, where I worked with him on pressure and release with the rope. I also worked on getting him used to the halter everywhere.

The halter is on, with a drag rope for the next few days, since he has absolutely no handling. I took my rope off of his neck and practiced leading a little, then gave him the day since he was exhausted. 20181129_115107.jpg

Here is the first picture. This dude is huge at 6 months.

ginster, NaeNae, Pony123 and 2 others like this.
  2. turnnburnlynx

I just realised it said "Leads" not lead in the intro. This is what i get for posting from my phone.

Well, worked leaf for like 10 minutes today, and he was perfect. Started with gentle pressure for 1 step, and he would be licking and thinking, did that 4 or 5 times, and then we lead over to his food. He was great!

He will keep the drag rope for a few more days. I am going to work on getting a smaller halter on him so I can adjust this one 20181130_080444.jpg

ginster, Arem and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

This guy is so cool! I love fjords in general, but the added size of a percheron really adds that wow factor! He's gonna be a stunner when he's all grown up.

mooselady likes this.
  4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Good luck with him, he’s going to be one tough little/big dude.

5. turnnburnlynx

Guess who became one of the herd today!!

Today we worked on leading, and put him out with the herd - he is the same size as trouble (they love eachother) 20181202_141122.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

They’re adorable!!

7. Saph

Saph Senior Member

Trouble is gorgeous.

8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

They both are!

9. turnnburnlynx