Leaf and maple are home!!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by turnnburnlynx, Nov 6, 2018.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Very, very cute~!!

I would not give alfalfa or a growth feed. That is a primitive breed and they take less nutrition than say, a TB, or other high maintainance horse.

I would feed them like you do a mule. Too much high cal, high nutrition feed can cause problems because they are animals that are not designed to live off that stuff.

ginster, ~tiffy~ and equinitis like this.
  2. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

@manesntails I do agree with you, and the feed is more just a "here is a bite of something " to get equipride into them once I start them on in in a few weeks.
    I am also a strong believer in alfalfa, It has lower sugar content, with appropriate
    Protein and calories. If this mare proves that it is too much for her (shes not on full alfalfa, shes on grass hay, + 1 flake of alfalfa twice a day) then I'll switch her off. But if she is in foal, she needs to receive adequate nutrition to support the fetus that has been thriving in potentially horrible conditions

Arem likes this.
  3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I really look forward to seeing pics of their progress! They're both adorable.

turnnburnlynx likes this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I would just give the grass hay. She doesn't, they don't need the nutrition that alfalfa has. Remember, this type horse lived for thousands of years off low quality forage. Giving them more nutrition than they need can cause joint issues in the foal, and make them overweight, just to site a few issues. Overfeeding high quality feed or forage is detrimental.

5. tucklove

tucklove Senior Member

Way too cute. Fjords are such fun horses, good for you for helping them out!

6. mygirl1197

mygirl1197 Senior Member

Love them both!

7. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member