Leaf and maple are home!!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by turnnburnlynx, Nov 6, 2018.

1. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

A few weeks past I posted about these kiddos, but they are finally home!!! It was a grueling 2200miles round trip journey, but we made it. Leaf was laying down the last 45 minutes in the trailer, he was exhausted.

Leaf is roughly 6 months old, and maple is roughly 15. She is much skinnier than I was led to believe. And the hay quality that she was being fed up in Canada was not good :( she also was eating straw when I picked her up. so her feed schedule is now currently :

6 flakes of grass hay between leaf and her, and 2 flakes of alfalfa((its the sun bleached flake)) 20181106_164702.jpg 20181106_164651.jpg 20181106_120556.jpg 20181106_120144.jpg 20181106_115852.jpg (she has had alfalfa , so in giving it to her, but going slow) they were feeding her some oat mix or something, so I'm just giving her a handful or two of that for the next few days, and will slowly transition them onto TC growth.

I am going to have the vet out to have blood drawn to see if she is preggo, but I think it's just a mix of hay belly/broodie belly. If she is preggo...then I think leaf may potentially not be hers... I just dont think she would be showing this much this early if she were preggo...

Anyways, just a few pictures !!!

2. sherian

sherian Senior Member

I do like that colt. We are in quite the hay shortage here so many cattle and some horses are eating straw this winter. A lot of people resorted to bailing ditch hay and swamp grass to try and make it through, can be done but whether or not the people's learning curve on how to do it safely is fast enough is key. Bad year.

3. turnnburnlynx

Yea, it makes me really sad. The amount of horses going through those auctions is really remarkable.
    Leaf is going to be something special ! And maple is so sweet, I think once she gets back up to a good weight + a smidge of exercise she is going to be beautiful.

I might shave her mane, haven't decided yet, I want to get her looking and feeling good

SkyeTiger and Dona Worry like this.
  4. sherian

sherian Senior Member

the fjords I know all look better with a roached mane in my opinion.
    the auction on the third was bad too - but on the bright side the system is working, 2 bone rack tbs were dropped off, auction house received the horses then called the PVO to asses them, horses were seized and there will be an investigation.

turnnburnlynx and mooselady like this.
  5. reicheru

reicheru Senior Member

Oh that belly looks suspect... but yes... roach that mane! Doooooo it.

6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Were they wormed?
    She looks much thinner than in the first pics you posted..poor girl.
    I guess I am the odd one out but I like Fjords both with a roached and with a long mane. I think she looks cute as is.
    Leaf is looking good. Sturdy "little" dude.

7. turnnburnlynx

She was dewormed, I just think she needs a bit different nutrition then she was getting.
    I did hear about the few Tbs , I'm glad that they are working towards making it a bit more respectful

ginster likes this.
  8. turnnburnlynx

I will most likely deworm her again in a week or two

9. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Aww man, now we have to call maury povich to find out who is the baby's mama!!! Lol!!

Glad you got these two, they're so precious!! And in a great home!!(y)

turnnburnlynx likes this.
  10. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

They are both adorable! Lucky ducks they are to have landed with you.