Leads and lameness

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by buddytink, May 18, 2017.

1. buddytink

buddytink Senior Member

This has gotten me wondering and I think I've confused myself lol.

But say a horse is lame on the right front leg, when asked to pick up a lope would they be more willing to pick up the right lead or left lead? Like if they're lame on the front right and I want to lope a circle to the left? If that makes sense??

2. slc

slc Senior Member

Depends on what the lameness is. A lameness may make a horse not want to swing his leg as much, or it may make him not want to put weight on the leg...or flex it, and so on.

Things to remember might be -

The leading foreleg has a larger range of motion than the other foreleg

The reluctance to pick up one lead or kicking out with a hind leg when asked to pick up that lead, could indicate lameness in a hind leg, rather than a front leg.

Very often, horses do not pick up the lead the rider wants not because of lameness, but because of 1.) rider error 2.) the horse is in an unbalanced position overall and is too strung out to get the correct lead 3.) the horse is very green and does not know what's wanted

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  3. buddytink

buddytink Senior Member

My trainer just called me and my horse is lame on the right front. Well idk maybe I shouldn't call it lame, but she's sore on the right front. He thinks it may be she's tender footed. I think knowing my luck it's probably arthritis/or scar tissue from when she was injured as a 1-2 yr old. But I did notice that when I went out to ride her the other day at the trainer's I had to really push her to get her to pick up the the left lead.

4. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I wouldn't be riding her if she is that sore she doesn't want to work right.

GONE ROPING and slc like this.