LBTQ+ in the Horsey Community?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by erm, Jun 9, 2018.

1. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

A couple years ago I was judging a costume contest and a girl came dressed as a cop and the horse was a cop car-- all fine and dandy except for the massive BLUE LIVES MATTER sign that she had on the side of the horse.

ginster and foxtrot like this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

My own feeling is that the horse world is an er... 'eclectic mix.' There are people who are extremely conservative and judgmental, there are people who are more accepting.

There are THREE reasons to not show public displays of affection.
    1. So that really bad people do not harm you (there is a risk to gay people but also not exactly a small risk to straight couples too)
    2. So that you don't offend people who dislike ANY form of public displays of affection - despite being 'old fashioned' they do have some rights.
    3. So that you have no doubt in your mind that the judging at the show is based on your riding and your horse, rather than prejudice.
    The first one is most important to your survival. And believe me, I grew up in a world where my first reaction when someone said, 'I realized I'm gay' was to tell them to say it in a whisper because I was afraid someone would hurt them. The world is better today, but I would not even suggest it's totally safe for gays. There are always going to be some people who are dangerous to gay people. The question is how likely are they to cross your path.

That last one is the most important to your life with horses. You need to respect that judge's opinion if showing is more to you than a ribbon hunt. If you really want to learn to ride well.

I definitely remember being a teenager. DEFINITELY remember. I had very strict parents and when I got away from them I seriously doubt I would have listened to anyone who insisted PDAs be stopped. I seriously doubt most kids think of that at age 15. But every day our world gets more and more complex and that means more maturity is expected of teens.

Keep in mind that some people dislike public displays of affection for reasons you might not expect - like that it reminds them that they are without someone or have lost someone dear to them. In delving into this problem with older folks I find this is not exactly rare. Another friend who was never bothered by such things before a really horrible divorce (she almost completely lost custody of the kids and was ruined financially) started griping about public displays after that horrid divorce. So....don't be too judgmental if people gripe about public displays of affection. You never know what they are going through.

Then there are people who just think it's 'gross.' And yeah, a lot of people don't like seeing anything really explicit.

For most young people, coming out is a relief and in many cases something of an emotional triumph against people who insist they should pray it away or 'get therapy.' Most young people are happy and proud when they come out.

But they have to learn to temper that happiness and pride against the realities of the real world.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    ginster and endurgirl like this.
  3. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

And..?

4. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

And you dont use your child to make a controversial political statement for a costume contest.

ginster, PintoArab, slc and 1 other person like this.
  5. Cynical25

Cynical25 Senior Member

Instead of a political statement it could just mean "I like to see my mom return home after her shift."

6. Nursestephanie2

Nursestephanie2 Senior Member

See, I don't think "blue lives matter" statement or banner is a bad thing. Im thinking that the kids father or mother is probably a LEO. There are many instances of LEO being gunned down solely for being LEO. They are walking targets just because of their career which isn't right.

I maybe bias however in my career and my husband being a FF/medic we are surrounded by LEO's and their families.

7. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Would you feel the same if someone had a black lives matter costume at a horse show?

IMO both of those are political statements. Political statements at a horse show--ESPECIALLY done on children's costumes, where you know it was the parent's idea--are inappropriate. If your costume is going to **** off people with an opposing viewpoint, you really shouldn't be doing it. There's a time and a place and a horse show isn't it.

8. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

No it’s not right, nor is it right that people get gunned down purely for being black. Being a walking target because of your profession, color, race, religion is not OK.

Would people be OK with a black lives matter, or ‘gun control now’

I agree, keep politics out of costume classes.

ginster, NaeNae and foxtrot like this.
  9. Nursestephanie2

Nursestephanie2 Senior Member

No, I would feel differently if it was BLM. I believe BLM is listed as a domestic terroristic group.

Both don't belong in a horse show though.

10. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Whats wrong with that? I don;t think there's anything wrong with supporting our police force.

I suppose all lives matter would have been more socially accepted, but really.... what's the big deal with saying a group pf ppl's lives matter? I really don't get it. It's true.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    ~tiffy~, ChestersMomma and Arem like this.