LBTQ+ in the Horsey Community?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by erm, Jun 9, 2018.

1. erm

erm Registered

I'm 15, and gay (lesbian technically).
    I took my girlfriend along today to a horse show and we just did a normal little kiss before one of my classes. We didn't like make out just a 'Good luck' kinda thing. People were giving us funny looks. Of course we're both used to it so just ignored it and carried on as normal.

The whole day we acted as a couple, and acted just as any straight couple would, you know we weren't doing PDA in the middle of the field, just holding hands etc.

Managed to ignore normal funny looks, but things came to a head when I had gone clear twice in a showjumping round. Looking at the board I had the fastest time out of all the double clears and yet I had come fifth? Not thinking much of it I collected my ribbon and inquired about the placings, expecting for someone to point out something I'd missed or even tell me 'oh sorry there's been a misunderstanding.' Nope was told '**** don't deserve the winning place,' and that because a couple of people had complained we were being asked to leave.

Well we left happily and I'll never be going back there again, but I just never saw the equine community as a place this sort of discrimination was so high!

2. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Sorry you ran into that. I know in AQHA it is pretty common to have gay people showing, many of the trainers are gay also. Lots of my show friends are gay. So it isn't that way in the whole horse community.

3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

In this climate politically I don't know what to expect to be honest. Sorry this happened, kind of hard to believe.

erm likes this.
  4. secuono

secuono Senior Member

This type of crap exists in every hobby, sport and such. It's not exclusive to the horse world. Some communities are far worse than others, too.

Cynical25 and erm like this.
  5. erm

erm Registered

Thankyou that's reassuring to hear that it's not all horse communities. We did go a bit further afield for this horse show, I'm hoping my local community isn't the same! x

LoveTrail likes this.
  6. erm

erm Registered

It's such a shame :( Hoping my local community might be a little bit more understanding x

7. Peanut Palomino

Peanut Palomino Senior Member

Since you're in England, I'm not familiar with your laws.

If this were the states I would find the show's rule book and also look into what organization put the show on. I would then contact the organization and ask for a copy of their discrimination policy.

That kind of treatment should not be ignored. I know that shows are not the workplace, but that kind of discrimination is illegal and there should be repercussions for it.

8. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I guess i don't know what the starred out word is... :oops:

Is there a form to write up the judge? I assume it was the judge who said that....

erm and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You are now living in Trump world. Christain, Right Wing, Conservatives rule the country. Progressive thinking has been set back by about a hundred years.
    It's a shame, but you are better off not displaying affection in public because the Conservatives will ding you for it. Heck, straight people are better off not displaying affection in public as well.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

Don't kiss in public. It's not about getting 5th instead of 1st, it's about living to the next day. Welcome to today.