Latest on souvie been awhile

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Misty H, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

And now it’s raining again!!! Well at least here is another cool down for him and will get him moving some more either to his barn or across his pen to a batch of pine trees he likes to stand under out of the rain. But it will be another cool down for him. We have had rain all afternoon which has kept his temp down. Well I guess I will get an hour of sleep and go check on him again. Will post another update in the morning on how he is doing. It’s 12:21am now. Update to come later on how he is doing.

2. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I'm confused in that he hasn't had the coat change, but you said he had delayed seeding and he already haired up for the winter and had to be shaved. Those are signs of Cushings. Are you thinking because it isn't curly that it isn't a sign?

I got this from the SmartPak website for symptoms. Sounds like the sweating is one of them too.

"Brief Description
    Also known as Pituitary Pars Intermedia Dysfunction or PPID, Cushing’s Disease is a dysfunction of the pituitary gland. It is most common in older horses (18 – 23 years). Since it is sometimes associated with Insulin Resistance, Cushing’s can be confused with another condition called Equine Metabolic Syndrome. For more information on Equine Metabolic Syndrome, click here.

Signs of Cushing’s include:
    • Hypertrichosis (long, curly hair )
    • Delayed haircoat shedding
    • Change in body conformation (muscle wasting and rounded abdomen or “potbelly”)
    • Decreased athletic performance
    • Change in attitude/lethargy
    • Fat deposits, especially along the crest of the neck and over the tail head
    • Laminitis
    • Increased drinking and urination
    • Recurrent infections
    • Abnormal sweating
    • Absent reproductive cycle/infertility
    • Neurologic deficit/blindness"

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

Yes his hair hasn’t gone curly is what I meant. His vet said he is 100% a Cushings horse and 100% a heaves horse.

4. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

He seems better this morning thus far, we will see how the day plays out. Seems the colic episode/gas whatever it may have been worked itself out. He had a fairly quiet night. It rained very hard for several hours here. Opened his pen gate this morning to let him out to roam. Need to keep him moving today so that whatever hit him last night don’t botch up again, he hasn’t been moving very much during the day especially yesterday.

5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

How's he doing today?

6. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

I actually have a new vet coming out today. Souvie went down again last night. I don’t think it was colic. He has been having problems walking. When he got up it took him awhile to do so, when he finally stood every leg snapped like they broke and he stood there shaking bad and couldn’t walk. Vet is saying it’s a foot, however the Ferrier was out yesterday and did his feet and his feet are great. Checked his white lines and no signs of laminitis or anything. Whatever it is is in his joints. His regular vet actually told me not to bother putting him on msm! Who says that so it ****ed me off that maybe souvie isn’t getting the best care right now. Talked to some other horse friends and spoke to them about it and they agreed with me, gave me some numbers to other vets and I called another told them all that’s going on and what his current vet said and said they are sending a vet out today. He will be here at 11. When his feet were getting done usually souvie does great just stands and don’t give no problems but this last time having his legs pulled up hurt him and he kept pulling them back but was fine having his feet filed on, just wasn’t comfortable with his legs pulled up! Which was another flag and walked off limping. Update to come

7. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

He might be getting laminitic from the dex and Cushing's combined. Holding one leg up hurts the supporting hoof. Cushing's can also cause wandering lameness that can come and go in different parts of the body. Hope to hear an update after the vet leaves.

ginster and Faster Horses like this.
  8. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

Ok this is what new vet say, souvie back hock from old injury is swollen and has arthritis in it causing him pain. Also right back leg above hock on the hip is swollen and has arthritis in it. Both front hooves are very soft and tender and needs a hardener placed on them. Backs are good on hooves. He took blood from souvie. He is running his thyroid, insulin, and sorry forgot the last one to see if souvie infact does have Cushings. That with the last vet just making an observation without blood test is not sufficient enough. Souvie not sweating could be a thyroid issue or Cushings will know results of all test Monday. Souvie is a tad out of alignment on back but he said that’s a given with his back legs having pain and causing him to have difficulty walking. He is not colic. He does have heaves but he wants to figure out the source of it. Wants him on MSM and bute for a few days to help him with the pain. His breathing is abnormal and assured me we will find out why! He seems to know his equine and isn’t out for just the money. They are a Equine Sports Medicine vet. Said souvie is fat and healthy weight wise. He is lame on back legs for obvious reason had him move trot and walk to see what he was favoring and what was hurting him. So souvie has a new vet and hopefully we will finally get him on the right path of treatment and not just a in my pocket for money plan. That’s it for now. Will post test results on Monday when they come in and get emailed to me. Oh yea this doctor actually gives you the test results! Sorry for the delayed update it’s been a long day and finally got to sit down a minute. Oh and another thing he said don’t give souvie the dex at night he said you give a horse with breathing issues meds for it during the day when they are up not when they sleep.

Puddincup, LoveTrail and ginster like this.
  9. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

He knows your horse is on dexamethasone right ?!? Mixing a steroid and a NSAID (bute) is the biggest no no in the book.

ginster likes this.
  10. AprilBride2012

AprilBride2012 Senior Member

Misty, I’ve been trying to follow your journey, but all the different threads are hard to follow. Could you do one big thread for this guy? Keep everything all in one place?

Puddincup likes this.