Latest on souvie been awhile

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Misty H, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

2769B36F-D4B0-4CF7-9B0C-2F42EF401672.jpeg 324E2FF2-DB86-4E3E-A695-C7523115A380.png 00247BAD-CFEB-4847-99CA-E359E256A785.jpeg 720AAEC3-88FD-42E0-B119-18ABB54BA9A2.jpeg well we have had ups and downs. Fevers like crazy today was 102.9 vet came out did another blood test and also ran a test for infections. His infection test came back with a 0 score. But souvie has been diagnosed with Cushings Diease. He can’t start the meds for it till Dec due to his heaves. As the vet explained the dex and the med for Cushings would clash. And his main concern right now is keeping his heaves under control. That in Dec we should be out of season and the temps should be good to go ahead and introduce the Cushing med. Right now souvie main issue is controlling the heat. He is struggling, no sweating. He has been shaved again and gets hosed down 4 times a day to keep his temp down. He still huffs because he just can’t get the heat out. His sides push out but once I get him cooled down he settles and his temp goes down for awhile. I will know his CBC blood results next week. It’s been a journey but going to start him on some supplements to help him sweat and hopefully that will help some. We just need to start cooling down. Like I told the vet if I could change the climate I would in a heart beat just to make my boy feel better. Here are a couple recent pictures of old boy. He did get himself stuck in his barn today after a rain storm and water kinda pooped into the barn. Had to help him get out. The second picture is a look back of his first time here in Oct 2017 and now the change and progress we made together

2. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I know this is a sucky plan, but have you considered re homing him to somewhere farther north?

Sorry to hear this update. Poor old man can't win.

ginster likes this.
  3. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I'm so sorry it turned out to be Cushings, but at least now you know.

I would look at this website to help you figure out a good diet for him that will maybe help with the sweating too. Had a friend's horse that sweated a lot and we just added alfalfa to his diet. Though not sure it would help Souvie since he is Cushings, but maybe he is missing some vitamin in his diet. Like maybe he needs added salt to his diet.

Cushing's Disease / PPID

4. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

Souvie gets alfalfa pellets 24/7 as vet ordered and said he wants him to stay on his current feed. He also gets a salt block that he does lick on all the time. We are going to try the sweat supplements and see if that helps us through the rest of this heat climate. Tonight just about 30 mins ago I did have to give him banamine. He was down I called the vet he said to give it to him that he most likely is having impacted colic again. When he was laying down I started pushing a bit of pressure on his stomach and he passed gas a few times. He is up now and walking around. He just seems a bit out of it, and seems to be limping around like his legs aren’t working right. I am outside beside him now and will spend most of my night out here with him tonight watching him closely.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

I'm so sorry. Reading that link about Cushings it sounds like this time of year is the worst for horses with it.

6. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

I just hope he starts making a turn for the better soon. Having both of these conditions at the same time is rough. I just hate this for him and have had the vet come out so many times because I am worried about him. But been following the vets orders to a tee and can only hope some relief is around the corner and soon. This is breaking my heart.

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I'm sure sorry to hear this, man.. :(

Misty H likes this.
  8. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

Lucky for souvie he hasn’t had the coat change yet nor the laminitis. We have caught it in time. That’s why the vet is ok starting his meds in Dec. the Ferrier will keep close eye on his hooves which she is a close friend of the vet. So the two of them work together, right now his Cushings is good. He hasn’t lost weight just some muscle tone, and he was delayed shedding and his winter fur came in fast and long that’s why he was shaved yesterday. But because the dex is to keep his cortisone levels up for the heaves we can’t introduce the meds for the Cushings yet. Which the vet said he is fine with holding off on. Souvie is up to 10cc of dex and today his lungs were clear. So we know we have the heaves under control right now too. It’s just the heat that’s effecting him majorly at this time. If only we had a ice box to keep him in during the day to blast him but even then that wouldn’t work going from extreme cold to extreme hot and humid. I just have to keep him cool by hiding him off multiple times a day to keep his body temp down. But at least he seems to be getting use to it and seems to appreciate it more now. He don’t fight me anymore. He has stayed up since his does of banamine and has been roaming around his pen so hopefully he works out whatever colic is going on and in the morning starts feeling better. All I can do is one step at a time. I love him to death and will go broke keeping him well and comfortable and if it has to come down to it which vet insures me it won’t I will put him down. I won’t let him suffer. Anyone who stays up all night with there horse obviously loves them especially when they will have a two year old all day tomorrow. But I love my animals like they are my children.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

You can’t imagine how much I have cried in fear I will run out of options for this boy. His is my baby and I feel like I have raised him even though I have only had him for a year. But I will co to us to do whatever I can for him no matter the cost.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

It’s also the worse time of year of heaves, until Dec for us when the weather actually starts to really cool down. And hopefully by then it does. Vet said it should start to hopefully let up late oct but even then he isn’t out of the woods with the heaves. I am starting to really hate Florida and can’t wait to move to TN at some point. Sooner rather then later, but don’t see that happening.