Latest Addition...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by barrel_racer64, May 3, 2018.

1. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Haha, yep, she sounds like how Mia was!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

I'm glad that she isn't the only one that seems to be a little- ah, special. Remi was practically born halter-broke compared to Baly...

Alsosusieq2 and Arem like this.
  3. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I do just that. I just measure out the appropriate amount, squeeze it on top of the grain, then dunk some big spoonfuls of applesauce on top and stir it in. I've yet to have one not eat it and I've dealt with some picky horses. Applesauce is like magic. Though if you think she's so picky that she won't eat the applesauce at first either, I've put it on grain for a night or two before adding the sneaky medicine.

I love this filly's face! Please keep posting pics!

OfHorsesAndFlies and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Applesauce is a magical thing, peanut butter and mashed bananas for some.

5. barrel_racer64

I was thinking about doing just this, so I might throw some applesauce on and see if she will eat it tomorrow. Maybe its the wimpy way out, but since she is already skeptical about humans as it is (making some good progress though!!) I'd rather not get in a situation that might cause an unnecessary fight right now. In the future I'm definitely going to tube worm her though.

I gave Remi a tube full of applesauce since she was being a stinker about being tube wormed, she acted like it was going to kill her...:eek2::rofl::rofl:

Todays update isn't much, just more of the same. Baly got haltered to be grained, and brushed again. She is getting better and tonight I was able to brush the right side (that's her protective side) and even her face. She was definitely a lot better about being handled in general tonight as well. I was able to get down to her belly a bit more without a lot of reaction. I was also able to walk up to her on the right when she was loose and touch her face all over (right side in particular), another big improvement.

She was trying to follow me around, so the new pictures are terrible. I'll post them in a bit.

Arem, endurgirl and foxtrot like this.
  6. barrel_racer64

Here are today's lame pictures... DSCN3302.JPG DSCN3304.JPG DSCN3308.JPG DSCN3309.JPG DSCN3312.JPG DSCN3314.JPG DSCN3319.JPG

SkyeTiger, Bebe, Pony123 and 6 others like this.
  7. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

The STF horses seem to just magically train themselves :ROFLMAO:

She looks better than when you got her! Looks like you're on the right track.

8. barrel_racer64

I'm starting to really believe that! While Remi can be a bit of a drama queen, she is just EASY. Everything about her is easy. Baly isn't bad, but compared to Remi, things just don't stick. Remi's first saddling was like saddling a broke horse. She was halter broke within a day or so, giving to pressure, tying, the whole 9 yards. I've gone back and forth on maybe selling her, but the older she gets (and the more mature :heartbeat::heartbeat:) the less appealing it becomes.

Thanks! I'm pouring the feed to her, and was thinking she was looking better as well. I'm hoping once I get her wormed she will pick up quite a bit faster. Her neck is still terrible, and my pictures make her look like a train wreck... One of these days I'll get some decent pictures of Baly (and Remi and Hope) that will actually do her a bit of justice.

GONE ROPING, ginster and Circle C like this.
  9. barrel_racer64

Well, today marks 3 weeks of owning Baly. She is definitely looking better. She isn't quite as spooky, I can brush pretty much everywhere above the knee, including her face. She is leading, and we have worked on yielding the hind quarters a few times.

Our daily routine includes being caught and led over to the grain bucket where she gets to stand while I pet, brush, or walk around her. We had a breakthrough yesterday with relaxing a bit. She is usually cautious about putting her head down to eat the grain, but yesterday after we got done with a good wither scratch, she immediately dropped her head and went to town on the grain. She is still a little difficult to catch, but getting to the point I can usually block her with my body language and get her to stand while I walk up to her. That is something else we are working on daily.

foxtrot, ginster, Alsosusieq2 and 5 others like this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Ahh shoot, no photos?? :)