Latest Addition...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by barrel_racer64, May 3, 2018.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Not really what I personally consider backyard breeding, they have a well bred stud, just don't campaign him. I think I know what you mean though. It's very expensive to campaign and establish a stallion though..

2. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I do agree. I bred to a grandson of HBC... but he's earned 300+k in the show pen, so he's not going off his grand sire to get mares booked, he's going off his own ability.

Lots of times it is no fault of the stallion, who knows what they could have been in the show pen if given the chance.

Arem and Puddincup like this.
  3. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

I wasn't saying her sire was backyard breeding, they actually have a decent program as far as the quality of bloodlines. Like you and Egirl said, its not necessarily this stallions fault, he really just hasn't been campaigned. He was shown in at least one NCHA and one NRCHA show, he has money earned in both, its just very minimal. I was told second hand that our local NRCHA trainer said he was one of the most athletic horses he ever been on.

The backyard breeding I was referring to was the actual backyard breeding stallions, no-name that probably wasn't worth keeping the family jewels.

Lol, Hashtags is a son of Metallic Cat, who is nearly on par with HBC, Smart Little Lena, One Time Pepto, Peptoboonsmal, etc. He is also proven himself in the pen. The grandsons I'm talking about are the ones that are being stood because they are a grandson of HBC, but haven't proven themselves in much in the pen or anything but the rest of their pedigree is also kind of meh as well.

4. barrel_racer64

Well, found out the hard way that Baly is extremely sensitive in her girth area...I've been a little short on time this week, so most of our "work" has been standing to be caught and being led to the grain bucket. Tonight I thought I would brush her a little while she was eating, and it was going great she was semi-relaxed and keeping her head down focusing on eating her grain when I thought I would just swoop down and brush under her belly in the girth area. It completely surprised her (she is extremely athletic) and I'm pretty sure she basically jumped backwards and performed a sort of capriole...

[​IMG]

5. Alsosusieq2

Whoa, she did lol. This pic would be great for captions.. Definitely he knows he saw a spider.

6. barrel_racer64

Lol, hers was much lower level and not nearly as high, but that's about the only way I can figure out how she did what she did. I was practically rubbing ribs with her, so I didn't really see much. She did manage to whack me on the thigh with a hind leg, I originally thought it was a cowkick, but I think she just jumped up and back and it hit me as her body was flying backwards rather than it being a kick (if that makes sense) it didn't really hurt and I doubt I even got a bruise from it.

Look up capriole on Google. Its an advanced "Air Above the Ground" that they train at the Spanish Riding school, and its one of the most famous moves of the "leaping Lipizzaners" I believe. It is kind of like piaffe but on a different level.

kodemiester, Arem and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. Alsosusieq2

Yeah, it is an amazing "haute ecole" Spanish Riding School dressage move, the airs above the ground. I've enjoyed them as long as I can remember..saw them perform too some years ago. They're amazing. The capriole is in a level beyond in my book, all the dressage training in the world, I'd never consider trying to school for that.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  8. barrel_racer64

There are a lot of levels of dressage training that are far beyond me, lol.

I'm going to try and get a few more pictures today. She has been on Renew Gold for about 4 days, so probably not going to see much of a difference from that yet. I think she is slowly starting to fill out a bit though, she is definitely eating plenty. She has free choice alfalfa with just a drop of grass mixed in, all to herself with no competition. I haven't wormed her yet, I have it, but since she is still extremely head shy (and shy in general...) I haven't wanted to traumatize her by shoving wormer down her throat.... Anyone have any suggestions on turning tube wormer into yummy grain topping?

Alsosusieq2 and Arem like this.
  9. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I've read to put applesauce in the wormer tubes and let her taste that a few times.

How well is she about letting you touch her face?

I don't tiptoe around head shyness. If you can get a rope halter on her, I'd just do some ground work and work on that pronto.

10. barrel_racer64

She is semi ok with me touching her face. but is possibly one of the most skittish horses I've met. I really think that most of her interactions with humans before I got her weren't necessarily all very pleasant... She is getting decent about standing for me to catch her and about putting the halter on, but its still extremely sensitive and skittish. My goal for the week is to hopefully get over that. We don't quite start over every day (just pretty close, lol), but we definitely don't pick up where we left off either.

Alsosusieq2, Arem and endurgirl like this.