Latest Addition...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by barrel_racer64, May 3, 2018.

1. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

She soundsa LOT like Mia.

2. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

She's halter broke,yes? There's no telling how that was accomplished,so I'd assume the worst and assure her "Things are different here".

3. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

No, she isn't halter broke. She was turned loose in her small pen with a halter and lead when I went to look at her initially, but was virtually unhandled when I got her. I've haltered her 3 times now (including catching her in the trailer for her trek to her new pen). I do assume they were a little rough getting the halter on initially, as she is a bit shy about her head, but that could just be the lack of handling coming out. They had me back up to a gate and ran her down an alley to load her when I picked her up.

I am doing my best to take things easy and just let her know that getting touched can be nice. She gets lots of wither scratches when I get my hands on her, and I found a new itchy spot on her chest. So far, we are making some progress. Its definitely a different process than it was with Remi, who I bred and had mostly halter broken by the time she was 2-3 months old.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. barrel_racer64

I'm hoping that's a good thing, since Mia is the coolest! Hopefully she maybe isn't quite as much of a spitfire as Mia though... lol. I'm pretty sure she is the type that may have been born in a corral, but was never handled as a baby, promptly turned out to pasture and "forgotten" until weaning, wintered on the pasture, and they raise several every year, so it was "time to sell the crop" so she was brought in and haltered.

Sunday is a day of rest for all, so no real handling to do today, but I thought it would be a good excuse to get some new pictures. I think she is looking better already. She got a good wither scratching and was pretty good about letting me walk up to her on the left so I could pet/scratch her. I didn't try on the right so I wouldn't have to worry about leaving that on any kind of note.

The round pen ground needs some work, so she always seems to be standing in a hole...
    DSCN3170.JPG DSCN3172.JPG DSCN3176.JPG

This one you can kind of see how prominent her eyes are on her face. She looks more normal to me now, but when I first got her home, I thought man those are some serious bug eyes!
    DSCN3181.JPG DSCN3186.JPG DSCN3195.JPG

Attached Files:

SaddleUp158, Bebe, CheyAut and 7 others like this.
  5. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Look who i found, related to your new addition!!

6. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Screenshot_20180511-143807_Facebook.jpg

Arem likes this.
  7. barrel_racer64

Cool! She is a 1/2 sister to Baly's sire!

Arem and endurgirl like this.
  8. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

They breed her to some nice stallions!!

Arem likes this.
  9. barrel_racer64

They really do! The lousiest horse in Balys pedigree is her sire just because they don't bother to show him or anything. Typical nicely bred small-town stallion in my neck of the woods... Bred nice, hardly has anything done with them. Backyard breeding, they actually USE the dang thing.

There is another pretty decent bred stallion locally that they do actually do local shows on, but he is by Cats Moonshine. At this point, I think there are so many nice sons still standing (and few of them have made it to the "spectacular sire" level except the likes of Metallic Cat and a couple of others) that its kind of the wannabes that breed to the grandsons... Maybe that is just me being a snob though... (No offense intended to anyone who does breed to a grandson, it just depends on the particular one).

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

Awww I like her :)