Lameness vs Unsoundness

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by TexasSlider, Nov 11, 2009.

1. TexasSlider

TexasSlider Registered

Hey!

Do any of you know the difference between lameness and unsoundness? I have a friend who was asking me and I had no idea what to tell her! I have always used the two interchangeably, but it got me to thinking....

I am not really sure what to tell her! Anyway, it got me stumped I would love to hear what you guys think!

2. kierababy

kierababy Banned

To me they mean the same.

3. KristinJ

KristinJ Senior Member+

Me too =) and kierababy - i love your icon pic =)

4. kierababy

kierababy Banned

Thanks. I took it the other day!

5. sqshers

sqshers Senior Member+

hmm, I always thought of it this way, but maybe I'm just over-thinking! Lame, to me, indicates a very visible problem. Unsound, to me, would be when the horse looks 'off' - not quite right, but not quite sound either. So, one more severe than the other.

Again, I might be over-thinking on this one

I dunno..

6. skysthelimit

skysthelimit Senior Member+

A lame horse is unsound. :)

An unsound horse cannot correctly track up and therefor the "beats" of the gait they are trying to do are "off". Unsoundness may or may not be caused by a lameness (although a lameness will ALWAYS cause unsoundness), because an unsound horse can also have neurological problems or other issues that cause the unsoundness.

At least, that's the way I look at it. Lol!~Brit

7. LotsOfSavvy

LotsOfSavvy Senior Member+

A horse can be unsound for breeding...but not lame :)

We have sold horses as Breeding Sound only before..

8. skysthelimit

skysthelimit Senior Member+

You can also have an animal that has an unsound mind, imo. But I'm not sure that a mind could go lame....hahaha

9. Giddy Up Gal

Giddy Up Gal Full Member

To me is depends on what the problem is and what is going on with the horse. I use lameness generally when there is a problem with the horses movement or gait, unsound can be used for more than that. A horse that has health problems, is under weight, has mental problems, is sick, ect.. I usually call unsound. To me when I call a horse unsound it is when there is a problem that effects the horse as a whole for soundness and usability if that make sense lol. Some examples of what I mean is if I see a horse coughing in the field when he is running around that is unsound, if I see a horse that every time the saddle hits his back he flips out that is unsound, if I see a horse that is lethargic and groggy he is unsound, if I see a horse that is 21 years old and skinny that is unsound, now if I see a horse that is limping he is lame, if I see a horse that is hitching while moving he is lame. If I feel my horse is off while riding I would assume he is lame but unsound as it may or may not be a body problem but a tack or riding problem and there for until it is figured out he is unsound. So there is many things I take into account. That is just me though.

10. rageandglory

rageandglory Senior Member+

to me, lame implies painwith clear unsoundness. unsound can be mechanical offness with limited, minour or nonexistent pain as in old injury that tightened up a joint somewhere, a fused joint among others. i agree that unsound can include attitude. ages ago when i was learning the basics of the basics i was taught that soundness, unless otherwise specified, generally refers to the overall health and vitality of a horse. more recently it seems that a leg issue/cadence/movement that is assumed, unless otherwise specified.