Lame?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Alikreegs11, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Alikreegs11

Alikreegs11 Full Member

Got this gorgeous guy today. Had a ppe done but no x-rays. Unfortunately it was really icey out so i couldnt trot him long for the vet... does he look lame to you?

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Honestly, I can't tell for certain. You have to have them walk/trot coming and going in a straight line right towards you and going away as well as side view for grins. This was too uncertain as they're just Willy nill for about ten steps of their own accord. At first I thought so, but then no. So get someone to lead them or you while it's filmed. Thanks-!!

3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I can't tell anything from a video this short and at that angle. The ground is not the best to evaluate either.
    Can you take one a bit longer while making him really move out? He's just kind of shuffling along here..

4. slc

slc Senior Member

I don't see any ice.

The video is not at an appropriate angle nor long enough, nor is the horse moving adequately, to tell.

A lameness video needs to be clear, show at least two gaits, at least several minutes of walk, tro in both directions, it needs to show an easy trot and then an energetic trot from the side, front and rear, on straight lines and on circles and on sharper changes of direction in both directions. Preferably several circles and straight lines in each direction. Ideally this is done on two different surfaces, a hard surface and a soft surface.

This is because some lamenesses only show on a circle in one direction, other lanenesses only show on a hard surface, etc.

The horse's head and neck need to be unrestrained, so no tight rein or lead rope.

If you can only show one thing, show a trot from the side (both sides) on a hard surface in a straight line, and include the handler turning the horse in both directions.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019